WARNING for Moody Owners

NeilE

Visit site
Apologies

Dear all,

I can only apologise for the offence caused. I was only trying to be factual.

I am grateful for you all pointing out my errors in this forum's "netiquette" and will try to do better next time! Unconditional apologies and thanks all round.

For information - please do not take this the wrong way,
www.moodyowners.org.uk forwards to www.moodyowners.net which works fine as of the time of this posting.

Google (via O2) seems to put .net at the top of the list (and this forum thread 5th)

Yahoo on the other hand seems to lead .org.uk to a site into which I have decided not to drill deeper if you see what I mean!)

I must admit having backed up the entire site again last evening before going to bed (the MOA site not the one above!)

Does anyone know just how this malicious attack actually got into Yahoo (and presumably other sites?)

Maybe you could start another thread to avoid anymore robots finding this one!!!

Kindest

Neil (webmaster MOA)

Cantata

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yet another good reason for not joining the Moody Owner's Association!

[/ QUOTE ]
A tad brusque, perhaps, Pete. The MOA and its website is a brilliant resource for Moody owners and IMHO the sub is worth every penny for access to the Tech Library therein.
Neil does a great job on it all and devotes a huge amount of his time to it, and understandably he would have been somewhat shaken and worried by the initial reports, and also protective of the site's reputation. His inital replies may have been abrupt, I would bet he was somewhat stressed, but following his last post I hope we can all calm down.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well, am I the only one who thinks that answer really quite rude?

[/ QUOTE ]No, but there again maybe he really is a "moody" owner /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif or maybe it's "that time of the month" or ......... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If it was my site I would have been appreciative of the heads up to a potential problem rather than "shooting the messenger"

Just my 2d worth.
hammer.gif
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

maxi77

Visit site
Re: Apologies

[ QUOTE ]
Dear all,

I can only apologise for the offence caused. I was only trying to be factual.

I am grateful for you all pointing out my errors in this forum's "netiquette" and will try to do better next time! Unconditional apologies and thanks all round.

For information - please do not take this the wrong way,
www.moodyowners.org.uk forwards to www.moodyowners.net which works fine as of the time of this posting.

Google (via O2) seems to put .net at the top of the list (and this forum thread 5th)

Yahoo on the other hand seems to lead .org.uk to a site into which I have decided not to drill deeper if you see what I mean!)

I must admit having backed up the entire site again last evening before going to bed (the MOA site not the one above!)

Does anyone know just how this malicious attack actually got into Yahoo (and presumably other sites?)

Maybe you could start another thread to avoid anymore robots finding this one!!!

Kindest

Neil (webmaster MOA)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry to say, as a paid up memeber that the top hit on google at the moment is to a dodgy site, my work PC will not connect to it, though it will to the normanl MOA site.

Yes you are absolutely right the MOA site is not in the slightest dodgy but some one is playing S Bs on google.

I might add that the type of site complained of has been causing me problems with pop up for a few days though several runs of anti virus and adaware has got rid of the problem.

As ever one needs to be cautious but the problem seems to lie with Google in this case not the MOA

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yet another good reason for not joining the Moody Owner's Association!

[/ QUOTE ]
A tad brusque, perhaps, Pete. The MOA and its website is a brilliant resource for Moody owners and IMHO the sub is worth every penny for access to the Tech Library therein.
Neil does a great job on it all and devotes a huge amount of his time to it, and understandably he would have been somewhat shaken and worried by the initial reports, and also protective of the site's reputation. His inital replies may have been abrupt, I would bet he was somewhat stressed, but following his last post I hope we can all calm down.

[/ QUOTE ]
100% agree on all points.

End of issue, me thinks.

asteven221

Visit site
This problem has got nothing to do with the Moody site as far as I know or any other specific site. It's a known virus and tends to come when you click through from Google. it's a pain to get rid of as most anti virus solution won't elimenate it. The solution with this one is I am afraid format disk/reinstall windows. it's actually quicker at the end of the day than trying to mess around trying to get rid of the virus. it happened to me on a PC at home and I ended up doing a reinstall.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
[ QUOTE ]
The solution with this one is I am afraid format disk/reinstall windows. it's actually quicker at the end of the day than trying to mess around trying to get rid of the virus.

[/ QUOTE ] I have removed this from several PCs with a single run of Malwarebytes Antimalware .

- W

Heckler

Visit site
I used to subscribe to the theory, format and reload OS, guaranteed cure, it didnt come back. I tried malwarebytes a few times, it didnt used to work all that well. Adaware, spybots etc been there done that, never 100% sure that the bug was got rid of. Anyway tried malwarebytes again a month ago on the latest gotchas, it now works, clean kill on a single run. Have found that some of the gotchas have a trick up their sleeves in that they stop the prog running or even being installed, the trick to use then is to rename the exe file in the case of the prog not running OR if you cant install it from a CD or mem stick to rename the prog itself. I have started running the quick scan which seems to cripple the bug enough to then get on line for the latest updates for malwarebytes, then run a full scan which gets all. I suspect that eventually the gotchas will mutate and another prog will become flavour of the month.
Stu

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Oh go on Ken. Mention them.
Alright I will. No problem at all. It just asks me if I want to damage my computer by continuing, or go back to where I was before. Joy.
Apologies for the smugness. :)

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
don't be complacent.....

comment recently from Apple...

[ QUOTE ]
For the first time, Apple is recommending the use of anti-virus tools to protect Mac systems.

Long something of a phantom menace, strains of malware capable of infecting Mac machines have gradually been increasing in prevalence over recent months. In addition, VXers are making more use of web-based attack and applications specific vulnerabilities to infect PCs whatever their underlying operating system might be.

[/ QUOTE ]

A

Anonymous

I've been connecting full-time via a WiFi system that has been compromised and does redirects mainly for ads served but also can interfere with the browser. After a massive investigation I determined that my machine was clean. Furthermore, when I connect by a different system (3G or take the machine elsewhere) the problem goes away - so we have proved that in my case, the problem is upstream and long-standing.

I have now gone over to Firefox and use the No Script addon. That has helped enormously - I still get ads for penis pills (I've got used to those) but the browser remains stable.

As for Google, half of the time if you click on the link you get redirected -- can be anywhere not necessarily infected but I never chance it. I always, now, select the url on the bottom of the Google return, copy and paste that into the browser. It is a bit of a pain but it is the only way I can use this system.

You guys might have similar problems or they might be different but Google itself seems to be a target as are ALL microsoft sites - I cannot connect to any microsoft site even if I type the url into the browser.

I repeat -- if I connect with 3G or take the machine away from this link then everything is as normal, my machine is clean the problem is upstream and outside my control. Some of these malware detectors seem to be a bit over-enthusiastic.

PS if you want to debat this further without it being seen by robots, take it to the lounge.