Walton Backwaters

peterhughes

Visit site
Can anyone tell me the purpose of the 2 new yellow buoys in the Backwaters that have appeared this year. There is one in the entrance channel & one in Hamford Water. Just curious!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Speed Limits

They tell you what the speed limit is. It appears to be 8 knots, which is not only rather high, IMHO, but leads to confusion with the channel markers as the "8" is very prominent.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterhughes

Visit site
Re: Speed Limits

No, the new buoys I'm referring to, are much bigger & metal. Speed limit buoys are smaller, plastic & as you say display a number representing the speed limit

<hr width=100% size=1>

swashbuckler

Visit site
I think they are there to record tidal flow speeds or other something similar - there are similar ones in the Orwell this year and I think I read a Notice To Mariners describing their purpose as this.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sniper

Visit site
I think there may be two different sorts of buoy here. The tidal flow monitors are as described in the 'Notices' posted here. However, there is at least one buoy in the Orwell which is only there to display a speed limit (just above Fagbury) This is yellow, metal and unlit. If anyone hits it at night it would certainly slow them down!

I haven't been in to the backwaters this year; certainly in previous years the speed limit buoys were small and plastic.

<hr width=100% size=1>