VP41's cutting out at idle after a good run

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
Possibly a question for @volvopaul
My VP TMD41a's seem to idle way too low and tend to cut out after a decent coastal run, on the broads they are good as gold all day long but rarely go over 1200 rpm, on a coastal run I tend to sit around 3000rpm and they are fine while cruising but when I get into a harbour and have to manoeuver the port one tends to idle low and cut out when shifted back into gear, starboard one does it a bit but not as much, I've adjusted the idle screws while hot to just over 600rpm and still does it, engines get up to just over 80 degrees and stay there rock solid so not an overheating issue.
Should I be leaning towards pump/injectors? Is there another pump adjustment? Valve clearances were checked earlier this season and were spot on all bar 3 (out of both engines) that needed slight adjustment.
I know the engines are getting on a bit but replacement or rebuild is well out of the budget, hours are around 2500 which I wouldn't call worn out for a solid engine like the 41's, they do smoke at river speeds but that is the nature of low running turbo engines, smoke clears once opened up.
It's fine from cold

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Possibly a question for @volvopaul
My VP TMD41a's seem to idle way too low and tend to cut out after a decent coastal run, on the broads they are good as gold all day long but rarely go over 1200 rpm, on a coastal run I tend to sit around 3000rpm and they are fine while cruising but when I get into a harbour and have to manoeuver the port one tends to idle low and cut out when shifted back into gear, starboard one does it a bit but not as much, I've adjusted the idle screws while hot to just over 600rpm and still does it, engines get up to just over 80 degrees and stay there rock solid so not an overheating issue.
Should I be leaning towards pump/injectors? Is there another pump adjustment? Valve clearances were checked earlier this season and were spot on all bar 3 (out of both engines) that needed slight adjustment.
I know the engines are getting on a bit but replacement or rebuild is well out of the budget, hours are around 2500 which I wouldn't call worn out for a solid engine like the 41's, they do smoke at river speeds but that is the nature of low running turbo engines, smoke clears once opened up.
It's fine from cold
Idle speed is too low at 600 , needs to be 625/650