VP2020 exhaust fumes

quaelgeist2

Visit site
Last week, after 1.5yrs with our (1997) boat and about 100 operating hours (total approx 500) of the Volvo MD2020 engine, I noticed the exhaust fumes to have a burnt rubber smell.

It occurred twice for short periods when the engine was close to full revs (approx. 3500+). No other noticable effects, power/revs/temperature/water - everything appeared OK. All other times it also ran beautifully.

Still - the thought of something of plastik or rubber getting too hot doesn't give me any comfort. COuld the experts here either point to potential problems or else give me some peace of mind ?

thx
chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Could be not enough water going through the exhaust and the rubber hose getting too hot, check this out or have an engineer do it, immediately, an engine space fire is the last thing you need!

<hr width=100% size=1>

quaelgeist2

Visit site
yes, as it failed some 8weeks ago and needed replacement ;-)

Got the hint though, will check whether the amounts of water appear normal.

Next winter I will mount speedseal anyway...

thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
When it failed, did you get all the pieces out of the system?

The speedseal is great - I fitted one to my 2030 after losing an impellor halfway across Lyme Bay.

Regards
Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
It's a replacement brass cover for the waterpump. It is fixed in position with 4 knurled SS screws and has an O ring seal to replace the paper gasket. The bottom 2 of the holes are slotted so that you only need to loosen 2 screws and remove the other 2 to get at the impellor, no tools required.

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.speedseal.com/>http://www.speedseal.com/</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
An excellent bit of kit, I've had them on all my jabsco pumps for about 8 years now.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tom52

Visit site
Chris,

Will fitting a speedseal help ? Getting the cover off the impellor housing is the easy part on an S31 ! Getting the lower steps off to gain access is the difficult part, especially having to reach into the extremeties of the engine box to hold the nuts whilst someone else turns the screws next door in the saloon! Unless you have made some other mods/improvements to improve access?
P.S.
If you had an impellor failure recently, the subsequent overheating may well have damaged the exhaust and may explain the smell of burning rubber.

<hr width=100% size=1>