VP MD22L timing belt

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Hi all. I am looking for a replacement belt kit for my engine and have read all the earlier threads about fitting non Volvo belt kits. I have asked my local motor factor, giving him the Quinton Hazel equivelant numbers but he has drawn a blank.

Does anyone know of anyone who may have these kits in stock? I know I could buy a VP branded kit but the price is exorbitant to say the least.

Any help most appreciated.

Steve

NormanS

Visit site
Hi all. I am looking for a replacement belt kit for my engine and have read all the earlier threads about fitting non Volvo belt kits. I have asked my local motor factor, giving him the Quinton Hazel equivelant numbers but he has drawn a blank.

Does anyone know of anyone who may have these kits in stock? I know I could buy a VP branded kit but the price is exorbitant to say the least.

Steve

You can try Redlinecarparts on eBay, but that's just an address that I have in my "Boat book", so I don't know if they still exist. The Quinton Hazell No is QBK459.
If you are changing the timing belt, you would normally renew the tensioning pulley as well. I believe it is also common practice to renew the FW pump at the same time. (I wish I'd known that when I changed my belt, and then I would't have had to change mine in an emergency situation at the back of beyond, and pay Volvo price for it).

Also from my book is that a water pump for a Leyland Sherpa 2.0D is compatible. BGA CP 3134E
Hope this helps.

Richard10002

Visit site
It's a Montego 2.0 Diesel engine. Glasson Dock marina bought a few belts and other bits from a local motor factors for me at a small %age of the Vovo price, and my friendly car garage got me a few matching oil and fuel filters.

Heckler

Visit site

Steve
The engine is a Maestro/Montego 2.0 diesel engine base with the LDV 200 van using the same base engine with the fresh water pump being the same. The parts are now starting to get a bit thin on the ground! Most have gone to the scrapyard in the sky!
Here is a good source however http://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-penta-md22-engine-overhaul-kit/
Their prices are very good.
S

Richard10002

Visit site
Rogue, a Moody 44 that I sold in 2010, has a VP MD22L that is 25 years old.

The current owners have crossed the Atlantic and are now in The Pacific and I follow their blog from time to time.

Apart from removing the whole engine, I dont think there is anything that Mike has not done on the engine, and this is their description of the conclusion removing and replacing the cylinder head with a "new one".

I think they refer to the actual removal in a previous blog, (October 14??).

http://www.sigasiga.co.uk/2015/01/13/conclusion-of-the-half-hour-job/

Not particularly relevant to this thread on filters etc., but if prepared to trawl through the blog, you will find a fairly good description of lots of different jobs.

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
,hanks for the replies guys. Sadly, really cheap sources (Montego/Daf) seem to be no longer available. parts For Engines seem to be offering the best deal on a full kit including the idler and tensioner. About £90 cheaper then VP main dealers. However it is still a very expensive service item. But on the other hand it is Volvo Blue in colour and does sound nice!

Now, where is the wife's purse hidden :)

Heckler

Visit site
g
,hanks for the replies guys. Sadly, really cheap sources (Montego/Daf) seem to be no longer available. parts For Engines seem to be offering the best deal on a full kit including the idler and tensioner. About £90 cheaper then VP main dealers. However it is still a very expensive service item. But on the other hand it is Volvo Blue in colour and does sound nice!

Another one but a bit dear now!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-Be...341030?hash=item567ce181a6:g:8u0AAOSwT5tWG3mD
To all MD22 owners, I would be stocking up now! I changed my first belt about 7 years ago, left the rollers (original from '99) on then did 700 hours and changed the lot this time beginning of the year. To be honest, they still didnt need changing, the belt is a wide one, and as somone on one of the Landy sites said, they are wide enough that they are bullet proof!
S

Heckler

Visit site

Dont forget, this is the same engine, it is the early version with the different intercooler but the rest of the bits are the same
http://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-prima-m50-m60-m80t/
I checked the price for the tensioners as well and now realise that the small price isnt so small with all the bits, the Ebay one is much cheaper
S