VP Engine Hrs - a solution!

RJD393

Visit site
In common with many of you I have been frustrated by the poor performance of the VP instrument. I have just replaced the LCD panel in mine with one designed for PCB mounting. It works fine at the moment and looks like the original. Minor sugery on the plastic casing and no electronic knowledge needed. Only time will tell if it is more reliable than the original (it can't be any worse)

enterprise

Visit site
Can you give us a full account of where to source the parts through to installation etc.
I would cetainly be interested & probably many more.
thanks.

RJD393

Visit site
I am in the process of writing up the details but hopefully this will help. Dismantling the Tacho is fairly straightforward and the LCD can be prised out with a scalpel or similar. The housing needs cutting to accept the new LCD. Anyone with a dremel would find it useful - I had to rely on Stanley knife and small files. The LCD is a Curtis Instruments model 701 - 12-30V DC - no backlight and no reset. I wired it direct to the + and - input sockets inside the tacho. LCD held in plce with dabs of silicone. Will try and post some photos tomorrow.

P4Paul

Visit site
We had a similar problem, after a little investigation I found a quality campaign reference number for the replacement of the Electrical Distribution control box (MDI). It refered to units fitted to Volvo Penta D1B and D2B/D engines and was implemented due to possible starting problems and/or failures to deliver instrumentation signals. We have had ours replaced free of charge and so far we have had no further issues.

The quality campaign number was 4877-1677, issued on the 27/02/08.

If you wish to find out if your engine is covered by the original campaign you can make contact with Volvo Penta via 01923 228 544.

FrancisRutter

Visit site
I had the same problem. Solved it by buying a small meter from Northern Tools which, with some encouragement from Vic S, I wired in to the ignition circuit. It runs whenever the ignition is turned on. Not exactly the same as engine running hours, but so close as to make no difference. It neede a new aperture to take the meter, but looks fine.
If I can do the electrics, then anyone could!

Heckler

Visit site
Yes the hours are in the display, however, take the rev counter out, get a hair dryer, warm it all up, CAREFULLY and it will usually come back to life long enough to get the old numbers
Stu

Aries

Live SE London / Kent border, sail out of Gosport
Visit site
Ours was not working when we bought a 9 year old boat with a 2020 engine. The replacement cost was excessive so I bought an engine hours meter and fitted it at the chart table. The negative wire was run to the local negative termination point and the positive run to the engine air fan switch box whai was easily accessible.
To start the engine you press the power button, which also starts the fan. Stop the engine, the power switch to off and that's it.
Easy to keep a log of engine running hours.
OK, I don;'t know how many hours the engine has run to date, but I am more interested in monitoring fuel consumption and total hors run per season for oil changes etc.