volvo water pump seals

johnmuir

Visit site
I have a small water leak coming from the water pump on volvo 2002 18 hp engine. I presume that the seals need replaced as water is coming from the small hole in the pump housing. Is this a simple job and can anyone provide a copy from the manual of the relevent pages.

G

Leave it till the winter

would be my suggestion John !

Chances are you will need to replace the shaft and probably the two bearings as well. Volvo do a 'kit' which costs about £60 for the lot.

I did this a few months ago and made a right pig's ear of it ( the hammer came into play instead of pressing the new bearings on with a vice). I got some good tips from this board how NOT to do it. A good tip was to be VERY careful when sliding the new seals on ( the slightest nick will produce a leak).

Volvspec in Essex have been very good - they always print out whatever I need to do with parts from their VDU screens.

Best of luck when you do it !

braymt

Visit site
Re: Leave it till the winter

Had a similar problem on the seawater pump of my Volvo 2040. It turned out to be a worn shaft - probably down to all the mud churned up when we motored down the French canals. I was lucky to meet a very good engineer in Malta who welded it and turned it back down to size thus avoiding having to buy outrageously expensive Volvo spares.

pvb

Visit site
I have the workshop manual...

If you e-mail me (pvb@btinternet.com) I'll reply with a scan of the relevant page, which has a good exploded diagram as well as instructions.