Volvo trim tilt issues

gyislander

Visit site
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I'm having problems with the trim tilt on my Volvo 290 sm. The accuracy of the gauge has always been a bit iffy and although I know I should have fitted a new sender I didn't as it all still worked in the yard (although i never had it fully down due to clearances) Now it's back in the water and after I trimmed it fully down, the gauge is reading fully up and the motor will no longer activate to raise it.
I'm wondering if that's because it thinks its already fully up,,,, is the system that clever ? I'm going to disconnect the sender wiring to see if it will respond and welcome any other suggestions to avoid having to lift the boat back out again for a new sender.
Has anyone experienced this ?

James jameson

Visit site
Did you notice the gauge numbers go past the last minus then jump back up to tilted readings hence its now reading tilted.

I would loosen the sensor bolt and carefully slowly turn the sender untill you see -6 with the leg down then try it.

gyislander

Visit site
Did you notice the gauge numbers go past the last minus then jump back up to tilted readings hence its now reading tilted.

I would loosen the sensor bolt and carefully slowly turn the sender untill you see -6 with the leg down then try it.
Never noticed anything. The boats in the water so I can't touch the sender. I found today that if I disconnect the sender wiring I can trim up and down, just means an alert on dash to service trim tilt which I think I'll just live with to save a lift back out.

James jameson

Visit site
The senders in the steering fork accessed from inside on the 290 and runs on a toothed strip mounted in the steering helmet.
Unless you’re on SX then it’s outside as you say.

gyislander

Visit site
The senders in the steering fork accessed from inside on the 290 and runs on a toothed strip mounted in the steering helmet.
Unless you’re on SX then it’s outside as you say.
The serial number starts DP SM, I looked before and the sender is on the starboard side near the top so definitely not accessible in the water.