Volvo Throttle Lever

Ian_Rob

Visit site
The grey button in the middle of my throttle lever that is used to disengage forward and reverse is getting stuck. Often, I can only get it to pop out again by removing the throttle level. It seems to relate to the mechanism rather than the button. The four hex-slotted screws that hold the face plate are so far just spinning. When I manage to get the plate off, is the mechanism an easy service/replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 12

scottie

Visit site
There is no serviceable points on this unit other than cleaning and greasing except replacing and doubt that it will self sort
Better sorted sooner than later

I don’t think that it is the most common unit perhaps whiltlock or even vetus
Is

Tranona

Visit site
Prise the rubber cover off and you should find a flat heeded pin that operates the slide which disengages the gear cable. That is probably stuck so needs cleaning and lubricating. The mechanism itself may also need cleaning. You should be able to access that inside the locker.

Refueler

Visit site
Welcome to the 'sticky button' ..... I reckon 3 out of 5 boats I go on can suffer this at times ..

Careful clean up and lubricate ... which will need doing again later ... but please NOT WD40 ... OK - to maybe get it to move initially - but please then clean and lubricate properly.

My lever on the SR25 gets a drip of 3in1 bicycle oil every now and then ...

As it was ...

EaWv7Dcl.jpg

After a good clean, new link bar, clean up button and lubricate ...

godju1el.jpg

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I took the back cover off as Tranona suggested and cleaned the mechanism with PlusGas (sorry Refueler - at least isn’t wasn’t WD40). The throttle has always been a bit clunky but it is certainly operates more smoothly than it did and the button now pops out when the lever is moved to neutral. Tomorrow, I will oil with 3 in 1. The back cover is fixed mastic, which isn’t very clever from the POV of ongoing maintenance…..

Refueler

Visit site
I'd rather use Plusgas than WD40 !!

I have to say that the lever on my latest acquisition - MoBo - is better than my others .. it has a large button that you PULL out to disengage gears ... push back in to re-engage. Definitely better than relying on a spring button.

NealB

Visit site
I'd rather use Plusgas than WD40 !!

I have to say that the lever on my latest acquisition - MoBo - is better than my others .. it has a large button that you PULL out to disengage gears ... push back in to re-engage. Definitely better than relying on a spring button.
On a previous boat, the only way I could engage drive was by using thin-nosed pliers to pull the centre button outwards.

Cleaning, and lubricating, did improve things, but only slightly, and only temporarily, so I epoxied a bit of plastic in place, to extend the button.

I could thereafter engage/ disengage easily and reliably by pulling/ pushing.

Why don't they make the buttons longer in the first place?

Refueler

Visit site
On a previous boat, the only way I could engage drive was by using thin-nosed pliers to pull the centre button outwards.

Cleaning, and lubricating, did improve things, but only slightly, and only temporarily, so I epoxied a bit of plastic in place, to extend the button.

I could thereafter engage/ disengage easily and reliably by pulling/ pushing.

Why don't they make the buttons longer in the first place?

The button my Mobo is large and you can get a good grip on it.

The button with spring on my SR25 - if I don't use the boat for a while .. I have to use a flat piece to lever the button in to disengage gear .. then a flat blade to prise it out to engage ... real PITA .. till I lubricate again ..