Volvo shaft seal - how much do you burp yours?

Poey50

Visit site
Last year I fitted a new Volvo seal on a brand new shaft, properly fitted and the right amount of grease and properly burped after launch. It doesn't leak at all but each time I have checked - maybe every six weeks - it has needed burping. Is this common? I'd assumed I would burp on launch and that would be it until the next lift.

I had hoped to fit a Radice but they don't make one for a 1 inch shaft and 1.75 inch stern tube.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Last year I fitted a new Volvo seal on a brand new shaft, properly fitted and the right amount of grease and properly burped after launch. It doesn't leak at all but each time I have checked - maybe every six weeks - it has needed burping. Is this common? I'd assumed I would burp on launch and that would be it until the next lift.

I had hoped to fit a Radice but they don't make one for a 1 inch shaft and 1.75 inch stern tube.

I only burp mine after launch or after drying out on scrubbing posts. They are very good seals. Replaced mine after 15 years and 1600hours of use. What makes you think it needs re-burping?

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Plum

Visit site
When I give it a squeeze I can hear the release of air then followed by the water. When it doesn't need burping the squeeze allows only water out.

Unless it is above the waterline or you are on a drying mooring it is difficult to see how air can get trapped in there.

Poey50

Visit site
Unless it is above the waterline or you are on a drying mooring it is difficult to see how air can get trapped in there.

It certainly is a puzzle! The boat has been in for 12 months continuously in deep water. I think it happens after motoring but I don't know why. It doesn't squeal so presumably doesn't over-heat. I don't think I get a full burp - if you see what I mean - so possibly it is air between the the two sets of lips and that motoring may empty out that space and the water doesn't get beyond the far set of lips until the next burping,

Does anyone else have this issue and have any idea?

garvellachs

Visit site
We'll logic says air cannot get in from the wet side, so maybe air is being drawn in from the engine side by low pressure in the water when motoring? The prop pumps water astern so maybe there is low pressure at the cutless end? Just speculating.