Volvo Penta Power Steering Troubleshooting

SzymonSuprun

Visit site
Hello !

As first i would like to say hello to everyone. I'am a newbie in yachting and I have a Finnmaster Royal Cruiser 6400 with Volvo Penta 3.0L petrol engine.

I have issue wih power steering, it had a leak, probably because of leak the hydraulic pump was broke too and also actuator had leaks too. First i found the leak and i've changed the broken hose, after that i changed hydraulic pump and actuartor get's complete of new gaskets too. I assembled everything together and it's still not working at all :/ There is good level of fluid in reservoir, no leaks and still nothing. Maybe You can help me how i can check all parts if they are working proper? I also think that part that moves left and right on the actuator is working too hard. As i assume this is the valve that opens the hydraulic system to push left or right and maybe this is the issue, because it only moves at the last degree on furning (at the almost maximum position).

Link to the same actuator:
Volvo/OMC Steering Piston SX & DPS Drives 3812269

I hope that You can understand my English, and thank You in advance for all answers !

spannerman

Visit site
The floating section on the actuator should move as soon as you move the steering so the shuttle valve opens and gives assistance. From your description it sounds like the actuator is the problem.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Have you bled all the air out? Numerous full lock turns from left to right are needed, topping up the reservoir as you go. Having said that, even with no fluid, and no power steering at all, the steering wheel should still move the actuator, it will just be quite hard.

SzymonSuprun

Visit site
Yes I've bleed the system as it should be done (with left+right turns). I think actuator needs to be checked one more time. Or maybe some metal chips go to the system when pump was broken and block the fluid flow somehow?