Volvo Penta MD11C HD price advice

eifpaz

Visit site
Hello all

I have been given a Volvo Penta MD11C HD, brand new still in the crate. This was meant to go into a boat my father was building, but never finished. The boat was a fibreglass hull and cabin and was approx 24" by 8".

Anyway, the boat has been sitting underneath a large chestnut tree for 12 years and ended up full of leaves which over time had rotted down and even had saplings and bramble growing out of it. This constant immersion in damp leaves has caused the floor and floor bearers to rot away and I don't think I can be bothered to carry on the build.

If i decided to sell both, what would the engine be worth please? it has loads of handbooks etc with it, if that helps.

thanks
Eifion

Airscrew

Visit site
As an MD11 owner, and as you havent yet had a response, I will have a shot.

This 'new' engine is probably better described as old but unused. Yes?

If it has not been run, or never run, for 12 years or more, then it would not be possible for anyone here to offer a value.
It may be seized solid.
Anyone would have to assume that it will not run, and will need investigation.
So unless you can run it, or have someone check it thoroughly and then and run it, any 'value' that might be offered at this stage will, sadly, be rock bottom and way below your expectations.

A running MD11, with a maintenance history and overhaul will be around 1200 max, as per the trade website below.

If you dont get a response from here, then a trade company such as Marine Enterprises in Dorset would give you an idea how to proceed.

eifpaz

Visit site
Thanks Airscrew.

Apparently the engine is turning OK (a mechanic turned it over by hand). It has always been stored in the original crate since purchase and looks like new too.

I will try and contact Marine Enterprises as you suggest.

Thanks again for your help.

Eifion

jwilson

Visit site
If I had a boat with a forty year old MD11 ( I don't ) I might value a new and unused one that will slot straight in at a bit more than £1,200 - considering any other more modern replacement will probably end up at £8,000 at least by the time you change lots of other bits.

New in a crate I really would not expect much wrong with it.

VicS

Visit site
Hello all

I have been given a Volvo Penta MD11C HD, brand new still in the crate. This was meant to go into a boat my father was building, but never finished. The boat was a fibreglass hull and cabin and was approx 24" by 8".

Anyway, the boat has been sitting underneath a large chestnut tree for 12 years and ended up full of leaves which over time had rotted down and even had saplings and bramble growing out of it. This constant immersion in damp leaves has caused the floor and floor bearers to rot away and I don't think I can be bothered to carry on the build.

If i decided to sell both, what would the engine be worth please? it has loads of handbooks etc with it, if that helps.

thanks
Eifion

I suspect that the hydraulic transmission makes it less attractive than one which comes complete with an un-used mechanical gearbox

eifpaz

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I don't think it has hydraulic transmission though as there is a gear change rod on it with a black plastic knob on it.

Thanks all

peteK

Visit site
Hello all

thanks
Eifion

As a matter of interest how much was it new?

Other threads that may be of interest