Volvo Penta MB20B/RB (v.old engine)

roa312

Visit site
I've come across a very old boat for sale, dating back to around 1960, which I believe would be perfect for winter hunting in my local area. The seller has specified that it features a single inboard Volvo Penta MB20B/RB engine. Despite my efforts, I haven't been able to find much information about this engine online. I did manage to find the spec sheet for the MD2B engine [link], but I'm uncertain if this is the same engine or if the seller may have misidentified it.

Does anyone here have knowledge about this engine and its production timeline and whether it's generally considered reliable or not? I'm hoping to determine whether it's still possible to obtain spare parts or if I should consider finding/installing a newer replacement engine from the outset.

roa312

Visit site
Thank you very much Lynn! I searched the Volvo website using Google, but obviously missed this - great to have the specs sheet.

If there's anyone who knows the engine, I would be very interested to know more. On one hand I feel like it must be working OK since it survived this long, but on the other hand I don't want to risk constant engine problems and think it might be worthwhile to replace it.

Last edited: