Volvo Penta EVC B HCU replacement

tug145

Visit site
The specs, Fairline Targa 40, 2xD6 310 a/b, EVC B HCU part number3818347 S/N 061400049566 P/N S100433/R1D Engine number 20060108701

My story...

Ready to leave Ramsgate in Kent switch on main engine port side switch on control board with ignition off, everything powers up as if ignition is turned on? fans start, dials turn on etc, engine will start but no throttle responce, error code 3.3.1 which is throttle controls, spent best part of two weeks with a good friend testing and swapping parts, found port HCU faulty, smells like the magic smoke has dissaperaed and wont go back.....

I have spoken to two dealers in Essex and both said the part number is discontinued!!

Can anyone help? from my understanding if I can find a replacment HCU I could get it flashed with the correct software and back up running? I have searched all over and unable to find exactly the right 3818347 part number, would anyone know if other HCUs of a simular number may work?

My first post here, but I can promise Ive learnt soooo much from the postive input by you guys and girls and would like to thank you.

Mark

tug145

Visit site
Update just found a 2nd hand unit with the same HCU number and P/N number and purchased from Coastal rides in Dover UK, they where really helpful, the unit came from a D4 260 a/b, would I need to get it updated/reflashed to work correctly with my D6 310 a/b? or would the HCU be plug n play apart from a chassis conflict?

Many thanks for any help

Mark

Andyroonot

Visit site
Update just found a 2nd hand unit with the same HCU number and P/N number and purchased from Coastal rides in Dover UK, they where really helpful, the unit came from a D4 260 a/b, would I need to get it updated/reflashed to work correctly with my D6 310 a/b? or would the HCU be plug n play apart from a chassis conflict?

Many thanks for any help

Mark
Hi Mark-I work for ‘a Dealer in Essex’…and I don’t believe it to be correct that the part has been discontinued. Perhaps the part is showing as obsolete etc. but there will be a replacement, just perhaps the supersession hasn’t been set up properly and so it states it as obsolete rather than giving the replacement p/n

That said, if the 2nd hand unit you have has got the appropriate hardware number then it should be possible to overwrite the chassis with the correct one to match your engine etc.

Perhaps give me a shout and we can discuss the finer points and get something sorted?

harvey38

Visit site
Give Anthony a shout from Ramsgate Marine, he's a good guy based in the arches in the harbour. If he can't get you sorted, he will know someone who can.

tug145

Visit site
Massive thanks to both your thoughts,

Andyroonot obviously missed your dealership, sorry , do you feel the engine and stern drive ecu would rewrite the HCU after a recalibration deleting the d4 configurations? leaving me with what is already programmed into the original engine/stern ECUs? or should I get a dealer (maybe in Essex lol) to update both port n starboard control units?

Harvey good call will definitely try if stuck, thanks

Andyroonot

Visit site
Update...!

For anyone in a similar position, these control units are a little quirky in as much as the Hardware number on the unit (in this case 3818347) also doubles as a valid part number; for other control units of different EVC generations the Hardware number and part number have no relationship.

There is a supersession in place but even that is shown as obsolete/no longer stocked, hence the response given when looking this part up.

However, there is a replacement part available which is p/n 21143184, albeit no stock at the time of writing.