Volvo Penta DPH service Interval

mcanderson

Visit site
Have I gone made or have VP changed the service requirements for DPH drives. My boat is out of the water for the drive service, last year was the full bellows swap etc, and now the yard want to do the same again rather than just an oil change and anodes.

As far as I was aware it was one year a full service, the next just oil change???

ss2016

Visit site
For a DPI it's 2yrs/200hrs. I suggest you look at the handbook for a DPH.

Manuals & Handbooks | Volvo Penta UK & Ireland

My own experience of VP dealers (only one) is they don't read the manual and VP does not train them. VP is unhelpful and greed is a major issue. Having said that there is a very helpful dealer in Essex.

Now it's out of warranty I use a very good independent.

Portofino

Visit site
Is it the same guy ( outfit ) who knows the previous history?

Are there any defects the current guys detected , water ingress , rip , tear , rusted clip etc etc of what ever ? Thinking he’s not happy at what he’s looking at ?

Is the oil emulsified, in which case the legs may need to come off for strip down / fresh seals and triggering refitting with new bellows .

jcwads

Visit site
Who’s the yard @mcanderson. Name and shame. French trying it on by the looks of things. Disappointing to hear. I am hearing countless stories of French shipyards and engineers profiteering on boaters recently.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Bellows every other year for us too.

To compare France and Spain (where we are) I just paid £2k (for two engines) for engine service, full leg service, impellers, anodes, cooling system flush and sea trial.

mcanderson

Visit site
Who’s the yard @mcanderson. Name and shame. French trying it on by the looks of things. Disappointing to hear. I am hearing countless stories of French shipyards and engineers profiteering on boaters recently.
I'm not there yet. Most of this is down to sub-average program management. Small boat, big yard issues. Despite me booking the lift and drive service back in March the organisation hasn't been good at all and I am chasing everything. I was in the office of the yard last week confirming everything and then things still haven't been done as requested. There is also the issue of the yard having to do work that I paid for last year, which wasn't done, this year as a credit. Life shouldn't be this complicated, but it is. Things should be wrapped up today and my 'man on the ground' is keeping me in the loop with pictures etc.

mcanderson

Visit site
Bellows every other year for us too.

To compare France and Spain (where we are) I just paid £2k (for two engines) for engine service, full leg service, impellers, anodes, cooling system flush and sea trial.
That is an amazing deal as the parts alone for the engine service (filters, oil, anodes impeller) has to be hitting £500 per engine. Actually just costed it on Keypart and it all comes in at £484!

Portofino

Visit site
Is it the same guy ( outfit ) who knows the previous history?

Are there any defects the current guys detected , water ingress , rip , tear , rusted clip etc etc of what ever ? Thinking he’s not happy at what he’s looking at ?

Is the oil emulsified, in which case the legs may need to come off for strip down / fresh seals and triggering refitting with new bellows .
In the absence of a reply from the op .

I have deduced from the OPs post #10 the answer to the first Q is yes ?

But if it’s Yes for the other two Q s then they need possibly to come off hence fresh bellows .

Post #10 also illuminates a “ credit “ for allegedly unfinished work from last year .
Difficult to advise when drip fed info as the thread develops.Two sides to every dispute / tale of dissatisfaction with boats and yards , if this is the case or partial case ?

We need to know the reason why they ( same guys as last yr ? ) want to remove them again . Probably a perfectly good one .Surly the op has been told ? Also this unfinished credited work if it’s engine / leg related might have some bearing ( scuse the pun ) .

This has nothing to see with VP s two yr recommended bellows change nobody’s challenging this not sure why everyone has parroted this further up .

We haven’t got the yards version here .

mcanderson

Visit site
In the absence of a reply from the op .

I have deduced from the OPs post #10 the answer to the first Q is yes ?

But if it’s Yes for the other two Q s then they need possibly to come off hence fresh bellows .

Post #10 also illuminates a “ credit “ for allegedly unfinished work from last year .
Difficult to advise when drip fed info as the thread develops.Two sides to every dispute / tale of dissatisfaction with boats and yards , if this is the case or partial case ?

We need to know the reason why they ( same guys as last yr ? ) want to remove them again . Probably a perfectly good one .Surly the op has been told ? Also this unfinished credited work if it’s engine / leg related might have some bearing ( scuse the pun ) .

This has nothing to see with VP s two yr recommended bellows change nobody’s challenging this not sure why everyone has parroted this further up .

We haven’t got the yards version here .
Porto,

You have once again read way between the lines. The work that wasn’t done last year was to anti foul the drives so this year the yard agreed to acid wash and anti foul FOC as I had paid for it last year. This has no relevance to my question on annual service requirements so why mention it.

The yard didn’t book the VP agent I prefer to use, but another who came up with the bellows change. And then double down on it being an annual requirement. I suspect which VP dealer that was based on my location.

So I waited to get the VP agent I like to do the work and pay for the extra yard time rather than rush.

Boat’s done and back in the water tomorrow.

And I’m happy.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Porto,

You have once again read way between the lines. The work that wasn’t done last year was to anti foul the drives so this year the yard agreed to acid wash and anti foul FOC as I had paid for it last year. This has no relevance to my question on annual service requirements so why mention it.

The yard didn’t book the VP agent I prefer to use, but another who came up with the bellows change. And then double down on it being an annual requirement. I suspect which VP dealer that was based on my location.

So I waited to get the VP agent I like to do the work and pay for the extra yard time rather than rush.

Boat’s done and back in the water tomorrow.

And I’m happy.
Hey you brought in the other work but didn’t clarify exactly what .Now you have and it is indeed irrelevant.

You didn’t say initially that you had or where about to switch engineers .Had you done that in #post 1 it would have explained a lot .

Maybe the new guy wants to bring the work up to his satisfaction, as he’s gotta put his name it and prefers to “ground zero “ the bellows , eyeball the UJ joints and fit his spec of clips etc etc .Rather than risk getting burned by relying on the previous guys work .Perfectly understandable now we know that .

Still doesn’t have any to see with the parroted 2 yr interval .

It’s easy to jump to the conclusion the 2 nd guys out to take your pants down , but the flip side is trying to prevent you getting your arse wet .😀

Anyhow enjoy the boat .