Volvo Penta diesel engine control panels

Heckler

Visit site
Along with Richard M44 I have been involved in the expensive stupid VP control panel. Mine started to squeak and the red alternator light started flashing (see a previous post) The batteries were being charged ok and various suggestions were made on how to fix it, Rob from Harbour Marine in Pwllheli said its the control module, they are crap, he was right. Mine was the one with a key switch, rev counter etc. I searched hi and lo for one and then Colin (one of us) offered one. I met him in Conway and the deal was done, I swopped the module and away she went prob fixed, as an experiment, before changing the bit, I plugged the whole panel in to my system, simple enough as the panels all have the same connection. It worked ok except that It didnt have a glow plug switch on and I couldnt switch the engine off because the key switch has a position to supply power to the stop solenoid.
Bottom line it looks like all the VP panels are interchangeable and with minor surgery (ie the addition of a stop switch and glow plug switch with the connection wires spliced in to the block connector) they can be fitted instead of each other.
Prince Madoc of this parish berths along side me, his panel was broken on the corners, so he has had the remnants to fix his, a good result, thanks to Richard and Colin for sorting to forumites out
Stu

Richard10002

Visit site
Re: Volvo Pennta diesel engine control panels

Hi Stu,

I keep meaning to call you but....

in your dealings has anyone ended up with a working rev counter they dont need?

Cheers

Richard

Heckler

Visit site
Re: Volvo Pennta diesel engine control panels

Richard
no, but the offer stands, it will only take a minute to connect one of your ebay ones to check, however this weeken if weather is good we will be going somewhere
07967 313792
Stu