Volvo penta 2003

keithgdg

Visit site
Hello to all you mechanical engine experts. My raw water cooled 1990 vintage (re built 4 years ago) 2003 has developed a problem. The oil seal at the fly wheel end of the crank has started leaking and spraying small amounts of oil that collects in the starter motor and a small amount comes out of the giggle hole at the side. I have been told it may be somthing to do with the breather but I've checked that and all seems clear. Any suggestions other than replace the seal which I'm going to do anyway.

Desperate in Gib and wanting to leave

ribrage

Visit site
What you are describing is called crank case ventilation , run the engine briefly with the oil filler cap off - watch out for oil spray - you will see a oily smokey haze , if thats the problem it will be down to compression gasses going past the compression rings - needs a rebuild (again) or minimum the rings replaced ( engine apart may as well rebuild )

OR

at some point you over filled it with oil and the crank seal leaked into the bell housing (simply replace the seal)

option A lots of dosh
options B less dosh

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Ok before you call your bank manger and ask for a loan , have you just done an oil change , if so check what oil you put in , ?
Take dip stick out see if you getting oil flying out .

Take oil cap off , is their any compression ?

Get a compressions test done ,
It may just be you have damaged the oil seal running it too hot or some how **** have got between the seal and shaft .
Good luck , don't have a nerves brake down yet , it may not be as bad as you think

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Ok before you call your bank manger and ask for a loan , have you just done an oil change , if so check what oil you put in , ?
Take dip stick out see if you getting oil flying out .

Take oil cap off , is their any compression ?

Get a compressions test done ,
It may just be you have damaged the oil seal running it too hot or some how **** have got between the seal and shaft .
Good luck , don't have a nerves brake down yet , it may not be as bad as you think

Think twice about doing a compression test on a 2003. It will mean you may have to have the head off to re seat the injectors. The new seals, if it won't seal again (50/50 chance of failing) have to be inserted from the inside of the head.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Think twice about doing a compression test on a 2003. It will mean you may have to have the head off to re seat the injectors. The new seals, if it won't seal again (50/50 chance of failing) have to be inserted from the inside of the head.
Good to know your on the ball chris, I done two different compression test on 2003 engine in the past without a problem , one was done by Volvospec , but maybe you have come across something I haven't , if that the case maybe best the OP doesn't do one .

Last edited:

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
Hello Keith........to get to Greece...eventually...if I were you I would take off gearbox and flywheel and renew the seal...you will be doing a lot of hours running ...in the summer...in the Med.Get that fat git on my Othena to give you a hand...he's quite sensible...regards Ian

keithgdg

Visit site
Hello Keith........to get to Greece...eventually...if I were you I would take off gearbox and flywheel and renew the seal...you will be doing a lot of hours running ...in the summer...in the Med.Get that fat git on my Othena to give you a hand...he's quite sensible...regards Ian

Hi Ian how are you? Don't worry he is helping and yes he has his finer points especially when it comes to electrics.

Visit site
Had this on my 2003t and it was the rear main oil seal, undo engine mounts and bell houseing, pack up under engine, slide forward. while I was there I did the spline drive upgrade to the Volvo cushioned flange can all be done afloat.
The injector sleeve bit comes up quite often, they are removed from the outside with a special Volvo service tool, ounce removed they should be renewed (you can heat and quench to soften but at about £24 not worth it)
Ounce you fit the new sleeve there is anouther special flairing drift to complete the the fit that fits inside the sleeve and a tap with hammer and the sleeve is in place.

Last edited: