Volvo MD2030 Tacho Problem

paulrae

Visit site
The rev counter on my MD23030 shows 0rpm then goes all the way to full-scale deflection and back to zero again. It does this regularly, say every 10 seconds. The engine doesn't have to be running - we were using the glow plugs today and it occurred. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

New boat to me, so don't know how long the problem has persisted, unfortunately.

Any advice gratefully received!

sergevero

Visit site
Hi , Paul
Had the same problem on my MD2030 ( 10 years age),
It seems that's a common problem with some VDO earlier series.
Had to change it , no repair possible (100pounds+ )
Be careful when dismantling as you don't receive the exterior ring in the new kit ! ( separate order)
Back to the wallet again !

Serge

grafozz

Visit site
Paul , me too on md 2010,s both tachos went after 9/10 yrs . so i did the right thing ....

and bought different ones ! usual volvo extortion on prices brings out the cunning !

search for diesel tachs , and you will find several that will do the job .
mine are Faria make, and they need setting/ calibrating . quite straightforward and at 45 euros each . 1/4 of the cost of vdo,s

paulrae

Visit site
Folks

Thanks very much for your your helpful (if disappointing) replies.

Looks like Volvo kit isn't very well designed for the marine enviroment into which it's sold. The hours run counter has already given up the ghost. So maybe it's not surprising that the tacho has done the same.

Others be warned!

Cheers

Paul

[10753]

Visit site
Yep - me too. I'm on second tacho. I gave up on the engine hours and fitted separate one a couple of years ago.

Apparently the engine hours are still counted even though not displayed. Occasionally my engine hours does appear but not for long !