Volvo KAD 300 failure

briggs

Visit site
So,
Have a meticulously maintained KAD 300 with DPG 3800 or so hrs.
While cruising offshore run time approx 1.5 hrs. Engine just shuts down.
No codes on EDC, breakers all checked, 7.5amp fuses checked, all three relays checked and replaced, flywheel position sensor pulled- no dirt, oil, or metal- showed good continuity. Fuel filters checked all clean. Boat has never used marine diesel, only pump diesel boat is on a trailer. Good fuel to top of fuel filter, but no fuel at injectors.
Engine box is extremely dry no corrosion or salt on any components.
I am leaning toward ECU or Fuel injection pump or a combo of both issues.
Volvo Paul do you have any input!

Portofino

Visit site
The “No codes “ sounds like a terminal ECU issue .

Just for piece of mind ( hydrolock elimination) does it turn over with a spanner on the crank pulley?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
So,
Have a meticulously maintained KAD 300 with DPG 3800 or so hrs.
While cruising offshore run time approx 1.5 hrs. Engine just shuts down.
No codes on EDC, breakers all checked, 7.5amp fuses checked, all three relays checked and replaced, flywheel position sensor pulled- no dirt, oil, or metal- showed good continuity. Fuel filters checked all clean. Boat has never used marine diesel, only pump diesel boat is on a trailer. Good fuel to top of fuel filter, but no fuel at injectors.
Engine box is extremely dry no corrosion or salt on any components.
I am leaning toward ECU or Fuel injection pump or a combo of both issues.
Volvo Paul do you have any input!
Wil it start after it shuts down ? Or is it dead and if so for how long

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Dead, it will turn over with no start. No fuel at injectors
The flywheel sensor sends a signal to the ecu to open the alpha solenoid , if the sensor fails or looses its signal you normally get limp mode , it sounds like there’s no signal on cranking if there is no fuel at high pressure at the injectors .
The kad 300 can suck the stop solenoid plunger down as the spring goes weak , that’s my hunch if there are no fault codes , won’t it start at all now then ?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Volvo Paul,
So change spring, and change out flywheel position sensor?
Not necessarily, take the wire off the stop solenoid test to see if you have 12v positive feed , I’ve known ignition switches fail .
Remove solenoid to check plunger and spring , while it’s out pump the lift pump lever and watch what comes out , if you get little brown bits the Cush drive drive broken up inside the pump .