Volvo hour meters

G

Anyone had a problem with the LCD hour meters in Volvo tachos? One has vanished completely, the other can only be seen froma very odd angle... At over £200 a piece, I'm loath to bin 'em.

<hr width=100% size=1>

brians

Visit site
Mine failed after about 150 hours but fortunately got replaced FOC by Volvo under the 3 year warranty. I was amazed at the price.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
If they are not under warranty, why replace them, much cheaper to buy some normal type hourmeters and put them somewhere onboard, in the panel or switch panel. After all do you consult them?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

good point, but it annoys me having things on the boat that don't work properly...

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Mmm, yeah, like the engine. Been there done that.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

G

I know, I know - just call me picky...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
You Will Just Love This!

Volvo hourmeters do not like damp. I was told that on their stand at LBS a few years ago when mine went out on a new MD22L. Fortunately there was a dealer chappie there who said 'don't go buying a new tachometer, just take it off and dry it out gently in the oven'. I didn't use the oven but put it in front of a fan heater for 30 mins moving it around to heat it uniformly. Put it back and it slowly came back to life, it doesn't lose the memory of the hours run, just the display and this does come back. I later found it didn't seem to like the cockpit covers being on, when left open there was no problem

Good marine design isn't it - keep dry at all costs.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
OK then. Was nice to meet you last sat Picky. Tell me Picky, did Mrs Picky and the Picky kids enjoy them selves. Tell me when your in the area again Picky, well have to have a pint. Nah sorry the name Picky just doesn't suit you.

Going on passed experience, its not just the leccy bits that don't like water. The rest of the engine is the same. The drying it out gently thing works though. I've done it with sluggish starter motors.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

G

Re: You Will Just Love This!

Got to be worth a go, I spose... Thanks for the tip!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimboaw

Visit site
Hours?

My MD22L is used more for battery charging than propulsion but the hours run at 1500 rpm still log. Engine hour measurement is no indication of how an engine has been maintained or used. Get an oil analysis done on a regular basis and heed the results.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Piers

www.playdeau.com
I had the same problem on my previous Volvo engined boat. The cause was dampness. Took them off, brought them home, and put them in the airing cupboard. Next weekend, no problems. It's a nuisance, but they suffer from damp - rather like my dear old gran who always seemed to creak and slow down when rain was on the way!

<hr width=100% size=1>Piers du Pré
http://www.dupre.co.uk

Robin

Visit site
Re: Hours?

I agree that engine hours do not give any indication of engine condition, but do give the only convenient indicator of when to service the engine. Oil analysis is a good idea from time to time too. However I would be very concerned at the effect on an engine of running at light load for battery charging, this is much worse than running at normal load, diesels like to be 'worked'. 1500rpm on an MD22L is not really charging well either at least with the standard alternator/regulator since a)the alternator isn't reaching it's optimum revs and b) the standard regulator will pull down the amps pretty soon after start up just like in a car. Much better is to look at your charging systems overall, if you must use the main engine it should have a smart regulator fitted, this will charge at higher amps and reduce the time charging, as well as topping up the batteries closer to 100%. It will also put more load on the engine but better still is to run it in gear on your berth or mooring.

Our engine is never run just for charging, but then we have both solar panels and wind generator and smart 220v shorepower charger in our berth. If the engine is run then it has 2 alternators both with smart regulators, but it is only run in gear for propulsion, charging is a bonus.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MickJ

Visit site
Re: Hours?

Wish this string had been posted a couple of weeks ago, I had mine replaced last weekend (£177 + VAT + fitting) and didnt even ask for the duff one back!

<hr width=100% size=1>