Volvo dph to Yamaha kicker tie bar/ steering

Pspinale2000

Visit site
Was hoping to get some opinions on kicker steering. I have a Volvo dph-d drive. I want to build a tie bar from the Volvo drive to a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. I have done it on different boats and it worked good. Curious thoughts on how the rams on the out drive would hold u pushing the kicker. This outdrive steering is totally different than past boats I have had. Mainly with the ram directly on the drive and in the water. I don’t want to blow steering lines or my main simrad autopilot pump.
Other options are a second steering station
Or garmin kicker autopilot solely for the kicker. Still not sold on them
I’m trying to avoid steering all day and tie bar to my main out drive and use the main autopilot is what I’m hoping to accomplish.
Thanks in advance for ideas or options

QBhoy

Visit site
Interested in how you get on with this. Never heard or seen it done.
First thing springing to mind is around the fact that the drive obviously moves on a few axis. As in not just left to right for steering, but up and down with the trim.

Pspinale2000

Visit site
It’s all quick connects on the kicker and out drive mounted. I’m just concerned with the fact that the dph steering ram is mounted on the drive vs what I’m used to with a sea star or regular style steering ram inside the boat
I’ll try to attach a link of some random boat with the similar style. Different out drive though

944B5053-0826-405E-9D56-752464DD9D11-2724-000002E47AF04917_zps0628a8c2.jpg.html

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Was hoping to get some opinions on kicker steering. I have a Volvo dph-d drive. I want to build a tie bar from the Volvo drive to a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. I have done it on different boats and it worked good. Curious thoughts on how the rams on the out drive would hold u pushing the kicker. This outdrive steering is totally different than past boats I have had. Mainly with the ram directly on the drive and in the water. I don’t want to blow steering lines or my main simrad autopilot pump.
Other options are a second steering station
Or garmin kicker autopilot solely for the kicker. Still not sold on them
I’m trying to avoid steering all day and tie bar to my main out drive and use the main autopilot is what I’m hoping to accomplish.
Thanks in advance for ideas or options

What sort of sailing boat is this fitted to?

Might this be better in the Motor Boat forum?

Last edited: