Volvo D9 fuel filters

Driver

Visit site
Hello,

The Volvo engine mounted fuel filter number 3809721on a D9 (and maybe others) is horrifically priced at £100 plus and the aftermarket suppliers seem to have no alternatives. I was therefore pleased to find them on ebay at £63.62 post free from China. (eBay item number:355974081636), and ordered two at the speed of light.

This post started out to be informative but as realism set in, I started to wonder if they could be cheap knock offs, despite being described as original Volvo, marked Volvo and in the nice blue Volvo boxes.

Any opinions, please?

Dino

Visit site
Ah the old Volvo tax. My old boat had 2 x TAMD40A’s and I think I paid €32-36 for genuine secondary fuel filters. My current boat has 2 x Perkins Sabre M265Ti’s. I bought some Fleetguard equivalents in a plant and machinery shop last year… 4 filters for €20. Happy days

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
The only aftermarket filter I will buy and supply is Fleetguard or Mann.
Buying from china can be suicidal, have you seen some of the U tube videos where they make filters in a back street shop . A filter is all about the paper and in certain cases a drain back valve , I remember working on a very nice Atlantic 43 with D6 in , it came here from Holland , it had Recmar filters on , I was gob smacked when I removed the oil filters as a normal Volvo one is a certain weight as the oil is trapped inside because it has a anti drain back valve , the filter sits upside down on the engine . I unscrewed the Recmar one , it felt so light , no oil inside as no valve , so each time the engine is started there is no oil in the filter .

I’ve also looked at filters being cut open , the paper part undone and stretched out to see that cheaper non genuine ones have half the paper make up inside , that means it performs half as good .
Back to the post , the D9 is a unit injector engine , it requires good filtration as it has just a single sited engine filter plus the pre filter, I certainly would not trust a Chinese one.

baily

Visit site
Hi I bought a genuine Volvo penta filter from a dealer and marked on the side made in Mexico as with most car Manufactures they buy filters from all over the world who will make them for them

Driver

Visit site
Thanks for all of your comments. I had already ordered the filters so when they arrive, I will get out my largest magnifying glass and most accurate scales to compare the Chinese filters with ones I have bought from Volvo. I will then report back.

Boat2016

Visit site
When it comes to service consumable, there are places to save a few quid and there are places where it is not worth it. Fuel filters on a common rail diesel fall into the latter for me.

The D9 is not common rail, it’s HUEI but the same concern stands and knowing the cost of injectors I would never use anything but the real thing, many will tell you they’ve been using them for years without problem but all I can say is they’ve got lucky.
Clean fuel for these engines is essential.