Volvo D4-260 stalling when engaging drive.

cassiopi

Visit site
Hi, I have a 2008 Regal 2665 with a VP D4-260 and a DPH drive.
Last year I serviced the drive. Once back in the water, I engaged drive, an alarm sounded and the engine stopped.

The local engineer said the cable was the problem, maybe I had damaged it during the drive service?

I replaced the cable, but it was not an easy task, the hole that the cable was routed through was extremely tight. I did lubricate the cable, but still had to use a lot of force.

Once back in the water, everything seemed fine.
A few months later, with probably less than two hours use, it is the same.
As soon as drive is engaged, the alarm sounds and the engine shuts down.

I tried to do the electronic calibration of the throttle detents using the EVC panel, but my boat doesn’t have a separate display panel, or a Volvo gauge.
This means you can’t actually see if the calibration process is happening.

The local engineer has had a look, and thinks it needs a new actuator (which is fairly pricey).

I’m not a marine engineer, but I build and modify cars, so am fairly competent.
I’m not sure it is the actuators, maybe there is still a problem with the cables, and the actuator can’t cope with the increased load?

Iast year the guy in the berth next to me had an engineer diagnose faults “repair” them, only for this not to cure anything but still billing the customer for the full amount.
I don’t want to do this, so I would like to try and fault find a bit more myself.
I was thinking of disconnecting the shift cable at the actuator, and seeing if the actuator moves, if it does and the engine doesn’t stall, then maybe it is stiff cables?
Buy might it also be a weak actuator?

I can also try to move the Bowden type cable manually to engage drive, and see how stiff that is?

I hope the above makes sense?

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Justin

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi, I have a 2008 Regal 2665 with a VP D4-260 and a DPH drive.
Last year I serviced the drive. Once back in the water, I engaged drive, an alarm sounded and the engine stopped.

The local engineer said the cable was the problem, maybe I had damaged it during the drive service?

I replaced the cable, but it was not an easy task, the hole that the cable was routed through was extremely tight. I did lubricate the cable, but still had to use a lot of force.

Once back in the water, everything seemed fine.
A few months later, with probably less than two hours use, it is the same.
As soon as drive is engaged, the alarm sounds and the engine shuts down.

I tried to do the electronic calibration of the throttle detents using the EVC panel, but my boat doesn’t have a separate display panel, or a Volvo gauge.
This means you can’t actually see if the calibration process is happening.

The local engineer has had a look, and thinks it needs a new actuator (which is fairly pricey).

I’m not a marine engineer, but I build and modify cars, so am fairly competent.
I’m not sure it is the actuators, maybe there is still a problem with the cables, and the actuator can’t cope with the increased load?

Iast year the guy in the berth next to me had an engineer diagnose faults “repair” them, only for this not to cure anything but still billing the customer for the full amount.
I don’t want to do this, so I would like to try and fault find a bit more myself.
I was thinking of disconnecting the shift cable at the actuator, and seeing if the actuator moves, if it does and the engine doesn’t stall, then maybe it is stiff cables?
Buy might it also be a weak actuator?

I can also try to move the Bowden type cable manually to engage drive, and see how stiff that is?

I hope the above makes sense?

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Justin
Did you remove the exhaust elbow and associated parts to allow the cable to pass through the tube easily or did you try and push it through which bends the metal end making it as stiff as the one you have just took out ?

To test the actuator and cable disconnect it at the actuator end and engage gear s a few times , if it doesn’t place the engine into limp mode you need to change the cable again and I’d advise you do it properly, and yes in some boats it’s a near impossible task , believe me I’ve seen it all .

cassiopi

Visit site
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.
Hopefully the VP engineer will be able to do the work this week.

Cheers,
Justin

GrahamHR

Visit site
The shift cables fitted to early D4/DPH had a solid actuator core. Later ones used had a much more flexible multistrand core (Teleflex TFXtreme type cable. ) The latter exhibit lower resistance, so the actuators do not overload as easily.