Visit site
bellows change

With acknowledgements to Spannerman
Replacing VP 290 Drive Bellows,

 Tilt drive fully down

 Drain oil

 Remove the rear cover

 Disconnect the gear shift at the upper quadrant,

 Remove the two hex bolts in the round spigot on the steering helmet, (use the long screw from the cover in one of the two small holes to each side in the spigot to wind it out)

 Swing helmet up out of the way

 Remove the two 14mm nuts, one each side of the upper housing

 Remove the two upside down hex bolts inside at the rear above the gear shift quadrant.

 Loosen the two bellows hose clips

 Prise up the upper housing until the vertical shaft in side clears the lower section,

 Twist the housing 90 degrees

 Withdraw from the bellows.

(Make sure that you don't lose any shims that sit under the large bearing in the upper section, sometimes they stick to the bearing, place them in the recess in the mid section for safety.
Sometimes the break coupling follows the upper shaft as you lift it, just shove it back down with a screwdriver so it sits on the lower vertical shaft in the mid section.)
Now you can replace the bellows, we always replace the two 'O' rings between upper and mid section too, and rebuild in reverse, note the bellows is marked TOP at the the rear. And refill with approx 2.7 liters of oil, with new 'O' rings on the drain/top plugs.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Good answer tico, but the question was to remove the drive not the upper gearbox so that the drive bellow can be changed, I sometimes work the job that way as it makes the whole unit a lot lighter and helps when changing the exhaust bellows and disconnecting/reconnecting the water hose.

So as per tico, plus the gearshift cable, 1 or maybe 2 11mm bolts.

Undo the shift cable from the actuator, 8mm spanner, then split pin.

Slide drive to left or right to enable ease of split pin from trim ram pins, do that both sides.

Undo water hose clip and exhaust hose clip, push off hoses if possible.

Undo 2 allen head bolts that secure main pins to shield, drift out pins after placing wood blocks under drive to support it.

If pins are not moving put steering on full lock and drift pins inwards, then do same other side.

tico

Visit site
quite right VP... a case of too hasty on the keyboard!
2 tools that will make your life a whole lot easier...

11mm ratchet spanner from Halfords or similar for the gearcable retaining plate, its hidden behind the head and is a bitch with a normal spanner & no space for a socket.

Bendy driver for the jubilee clips, available from RS or other good tool suppliers, i think its a 7mm head but stand to be corrected.

moresparks

Visit site
I have just removed my VP 290 Stern Drives for the first time armed with the knowledge gained from the contributors of this forum. (A big thank you). I already had the service manual and the Seloc manual but the contribution by this forum gave me the confidence. I used the post submitted by KevB dated 04-03-09 together with hints from other posters. It took me a morning to take one drive off and the most stubborn parts to remove were the round spigots on the steering helmet for some reason.
To remove the main pins, mine had an 8mm thread in each end and I screwed in a longish 8mm bolt, nut and penny washer via a 22mm socket from my socket set to place on the outside of the pin. I then tightened the nut against the penny washer and socket (or tube) whilst holding the bolt head in situ. Thus drawing out the pin, simple really.
Oh and the drives are heavy!!