Vodaphone Greece?

Carmel2

Visit site
Has anyone found a way of blocking these sodding calls and texts? I only have a basic phone and it won't block none id calls, I must be getting 3 texts a day 4 or 5 calls most of time the I haven't got to it in time and they have rang off..............Does this happen on other Greek phone networks? Wind etc?

Davy_S

Visit site
I get an odd text from Cosmote advertising call cost and internet top ups. I have never received any phone calls ( marketing, selling) at all, even on my land line its less than one every six weeks.

Davy_S

Visit site
I will let others comment about Wind, the coverage can be iffy dependant on your location.
A word about cosmote, I have two PAYG sims for two simple Nokia phones. The conditions of usage have changed, when you add credit to the phone, the contract lasts for 12 months, but the credit only lasts for three months, top it up or lose it, the credit, not the 12 months if your balance goes below 5 euro you can(if you want) add 250 minutes by dialing the top up number, they then deduct 2.50 euro when you top up with a card purchased from the kiosk, this is not a bad idea if your phone is low on credit! I only use my clever phone on wifi (free).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
A word about cosmote, I have two PAYG sims for two simple Nokia phones. The conditions of usage have changed, when you add credit to the phone, the contract lasts for 12 months, but the credit only lasts for three months, top it up or lose it, the credit, not the 12 months if your balance goes below 5 euro you can(if you want) add 250 minutes by dialing the top up number, they then deduct 2.50 euro when you top up with a card purchased from the kiosk, this is not a bad idea if your phone is low on credit! I only use my clever phone on wifi (free).

Thanks for confirming this. We understood from the recorded message on the top-up number that the terms were as you say. We asked the girl at the local shop if we had understood correctly, to which she replied that we were wrong, credit is not lost while the phone is in contract. As ever, information filters down slowly in Greece!

charles_reed

Visit site
I had a WIND SIM which had worked for me in Greece since 2010. The WIND franchisee in Peramos went bust.
I got a Vodafone SIM - found that to use it I was expected to put in €10/month.
I found the most cost efficient answer is to use my UK Vodafone Voice SIM.
I do have a data-only contract with Vodafone Greece which works.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
This year I switched from a Vodafone data PAYG to Cosmote PAYG in a mifi. The difference has been well worth the change. With Vodafone I could not access Photobucket, watch any youtube videos or any in Facebook. Download speed is so much better with Cosmote, it is sometimes faster than my landline at home (which I have to say is not brilliant.) and the allowance is more than twice the size, or for the summer offer was five times bigger.

charles_reed

Visit site
This year I switched from a Vodafone data PAYG to Cosmote PAYG in a mifi. The difference has been well worth the change. With Vodafone I could not access Photobucket, watch any youtube videos or any in Facebook. Download speed is so much better with Cosmote, it is sometimes faster than my landline at home (which I have to say is not brilliant.) and the allowance is more than twice the size, or for the summer offer was five times bigger.

Funny, I can access all the quoted sites and I have little problem with download speeds - however mine is a business credit account and I suspect yours was PAYG which would have such drawbacks.
I've never used Cosmote (better a known devil than an unknown)#

I suspect we're comparing unlike accounts - I'd agree that Vodafone GR PAYG is unfit for purpose, from my experience this spring.

Last edited:

Carmel2

Visit site
It's not often you can stop a driven sales person dead in his tacks...........and it was quite good fun. So we ditched Voda over to Cosmote and the guy spoke perfect English, he was really pushy about selling us a land line, I told he we didn't need or want one, He was not having any of that, so I let him bang on for an age, and finally let him know that we live on a boat and the penny dropped, the look on his face was priceless;)

Ric

Visit site
I find that any Vodaphone franchise worldwide are experts at developing confusing PAYG and top-up packages which are designed to trick a new user into spending far more than they really need to. I was recently in New Zealand and foolishly got a PAYG from Vodaphone NZ and was thoroughly ripped off by them. They kept sending text messages saying my credit had expired when in fact it had not, so that I ended up putting on far more credit than I needed. Similarly, every time I topped up my data, I would get a message a few minutes later telling me it had expired - when in fact it hadn't. I think Vodaphone are a thoroughly disreputable company and always avoid them unless I have no choice (which was the case in NZ due to my location).