Vintage Seagull at Rhu

double_ender

Visit site
I will be taking 2 seagulls to the Boat Jumble Sun 26 at Rhu Marina, Helensburgh. If any Forumites are interested they can pm me for a prior deal, location Helensburgh.

Seagull 40 Plus vintage '78, plastic tank. One owner. Had running yesterday. £20

Seagull 40 Minus vintage '66 brass tank v little used, about 10-15 hrs est. Second owner. Dry stored £40.
Running Yesterday

bikerbill

Visit site
Good prices so should sell quick. I will be there myself looking for bargains, don't know what I'm looking for yet, but sure as fate I'll end up buying a load of junk :)

Tranona

Visit site
The 40 minus is a really rare beast. Ideal for somebody who has a black Avon Redstart or Recreation, which is what it was designed for with the extra short shaft and 2:1 reduction. Biggest market was the USA.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have sent a PM re the Forty Minus. I had one (code SJM?) years ago, which had a gap between the two halves of the crankcase. It still ran nicely, to my slight surprise, and pushed my 7'6 GRP tender along very nicely. It even coped with a ton of 21' fin keeler quite nicely on occasion. Shame about the oil slick ...

VicS

Visit site
I will be taking 2 seagulls to the Boat Jumble Sun 26 at Rhu Marina, Helensburgh. If any Forumites are interested they can pm me for a prior deal, location Helensburgh.

Seagull 40 Plus vintage '78, plastic tank. One owner. Had running yesterday. £20

Seagull 40 Minus vintage '66 brass tank v little used, about 10-15 hrs est. Second owner. Dry stored £40.
Running Yesterday

You might ask sensible prices for them. You can always accept lower offers if there are no takers at your asking price

It would be different at an on perhaps where you'd put a valuation at a "come and buy me" figure to generate interest and get the bidding started.

You are going to let the Duck have the 40 minus for £40 now! ...... He'll probably Ebay it and get sveral times that for it!

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I have sent a PM re the Forty Minus. I had one (code SJM?) years ago, which had a gap between the two halves of the crankcase. It still ran nicely, to my slight surprise, and pushed my 7'6 GRP tender along very nicely. It even coped with a ton of 21' fin keeler quite nicely on occasion. Shame about the oil slick ...

Hope you are lucky - seems a bargain. Always liked the 40 minus but punters would go for the heavier more expensive 40+ "just in case". Only became a better decision when the clutch 40+ came in, but then you needed bigger biceps as that and the recoil starter increased the weight a lot and you needed a spacer to get the height right for an Avon. Just like the one in my shed. SJM is the right code for the earliest ones.

Cure for leaky crank cases was to take them a part and lap in the faces. All a bit flexible and then a challenge to get the crank back in straight. Happy days!

ffiill

Visit site
The 40 minus is a really rare beast. Ideal for somebody who has a black Avon Redstart or Recreation, which is what it was designed for with the extra short shaft and 2:1 reduction. Biggest market was the USA.
Didnt realise they were rare.
Mine will be fifty in 2017 owned since new and just about to replace spark plug!

Tranona

Visit site
Didnt realise they were rare.
Mine will be fifty in 2017 owned since new and just about to replace spark plug!
Just that particular model and date. Introduced in conjunction with Avon and primarily aimed at the US. The 13" haft as unusual but was perfect for the Avon bracket. Got the boat going as fast as a 40+.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The 40 minus is a really rare beast.

The one in question is now in my hall ... according to the Saving Old Seagulls identifier it's a 1969 Forty Featherweight. Is there any different between the Forty Minus (my old one was a 1961 model, I think) and the Featherweight?

Note to anyone with an avaricious turn of mind: the engine is not for sale and will not be for sale.

Tranona

Visit site
From memory, no. The shaft length, gearbox and prop are the same. The only significant difference will be that the newer one is likely to have a Wipac magneto (gold flywheel) rather than a Villiers (silver). Should have a Villiers carb, which you can change to 25:1 with a new needle as per the instructions on the SOS site.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
From memory, no. The shaft length, gearbox and prop are the same. The only significant difference will be that the newer one is likely to have a Wipac magneto (gold flywheel) rather than a Villiers (silver). Should have a Villiers carb, which you can change to 25:1 with a new needle as per the instructions on the SOS site.

Many thanks. Yup, gold flywheel. Sheridan Marine also have the conversion needle, and I see that they have reintroduced the neat removable bracket, with one of which I could certainly do.

jimmcgee

Visit site
:( how did I not know there was a boat jumble at Rhu tomorrow , wife is away all weekend and left me with a credit card :encouragement: , but working nightshift Saturday and Sunday :sleeping: . could have got away with spending at least a tenner !.

jimmcgee

Visit site
was only needing a cable .... and a bilge pump ..............oh and some fenders ,oh and a boat hook ....oh and a wee float thing to put my keys on :encouragement:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The one in question is now in my hall ...

Update: I finally got round to testing the Forty Featherweight yesterday. Started first pull and ran as sweet as a nut. I'm going to do the 25:1 conversion before putting it into use. Many thanks to Tranona for advice and to Double_ender for selling it to me!