Vid of a Viking anchor in storm

Neeves

Visit site

I'm a bit time short and only saw the first 5 minutes - but thought to share.

This is a quote from the owner of the yacht sent to the owner of Viking Anchors

Quote:

The anchor has taken several F7 180’ wind veers before this in. The last 80 days at anchor, but this F11 wind shift was something else entirely.

The bridle was mistakenly not attached so we broke our anchor windlass. But the anchor held. We ran a quick Calculation and think we hit 3,200kg Anchor Load

We will do a more detailed review video at some point as we have some great underwater footage of the anchor setting and resetting.

We also now have a number of other full time Cruisers we have met who are now interested in a Viking because of our excitement. Including the 25kg one you have already sold to Scott and Kate

Unquote

Jonathan

geem

Visit site
My understanding is that at 8 times the depth of water you are at the useful limit of chain length. I appreciate that the guy broke his windlass but 100m of chain out just causes chaos as you could see with boats anchored nearby who were on less scope. The Viking anchor seemed to perform as well as what ever the other boats nearby were using.
We were anchored once when a squall went through giving us over 50kts. An anchorage with 70 boats but not a single boat dragged. Many would be on old generation anchors.
The problem I see at the moment with Viking anchors is they are largely untested. Few people have them and they are similarly priced to well established new generation anchors that have a proven track record. I like the idea of a Viking but I am not sure they have a serious advantage in the market place yet. I know they are built from HT steel so I could have a lighter anchor, but shaving a few kg off a heavy boat for something that has yet to establish a reputation isn't worth the risk for me.
If they want give me one at a discount and I can flog it to death for a couple of years anchoring 365 days a year then I am up for it😃

Neeves

Visit site
Only watched about 7 minutes but they dragged!!! and why didn't they reduce windage on the boat.
They did not drag - the snubber (chain lock) they appear to have been using (secured to the rode with a swivel snap shackle) failed, the rode self deployed (though there was no sound of the chain rumbling out of the locker and over the bow roller) until the chain reached its bitter end. The anchor did not move. If they were using a long snubber (not simply something to keep the land off the windlass) - it was not mentioned.

They would have known they were tethered if they had been watching the chart/plotter/radar - easy to be wise after the event. And that hindsight comes in useful when you wonder why their tender seemed to be tied along side.

Not sure how they conjured up the tension in the rode at 3,200kg - unless that was the UTC of the snubber swivel snap shackle.

I would agree - investing in a lightweight anchor, HT or aluminium really is not a benefit for a heavily built yacht. The anchor is no better, unless weight is an issue for you, than any of the other top of the range anchors, Spade, Excel, Rocna - there is plenty of choice. However the market place is full of new or second hand AWBs (and catamarans) rather than heavy duty cruising yachts - the market for a lightweight anchor is there but not for a heavy yacht. However the biggest saving in weight in the bow is using higher tensile chain - lightweight anchors are just the cream on the cake.

Until, of course, you need to retreive 100m of chain by hand and then a lightweight anchor will save, say, 10 kg when you are lifting the final portion.

Jonathan

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Only watched about 7 minutes but they dragged!!! and why didn't they reduce windage on the boat.

My thoughts exactly, they knew a storm was coming, stated that they were prepared and then left the bus shelter up over the cockpit. I could not watch the video, intensely irritating, so scrolled through to get to what I thought were the interesting bits. The bloke terrified his kids into panic at the expense of taking video instead of managing the situation calmly and cooly.

I don't understand how he can steer the boat, unless the engine was on, which I think he is suggesting was not the case i.e. bigging up the anchor. No engine on in those winds, surrounded by other boats would not be prepared in my opinion. Also, as stated above, his anchor preparation was less than ideal.

NGA holds well in extreme winds is hardly news. I think it is click bait and they are angling for a free bigger anchor. Anyway, glad they are all okay and I do appreciate that having a young family onboard in those situations would be worrying.

NormanS

Visit site
If I know that there's a bit of wind coming, I don't have a dinghy up alongside, hoisted up on a halyard. I reduce windage if I can, and make absolutely sure that all parts of the anchoring equipment are in a secure state. So far, that's kept us safe in up to 74 knots of wind. I would probably rig the riding sail to prevent yawing, - that's a lot easier, safer and more efficient than motoring ahead and trying to steer. The type and size of anchor is only part of the equation.