Vice that fits in a winch socket?

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
In various cruising books, I've seen several references to a vice which fits into a winch socket.

Has anyone any idea where these can be found? A google search has revealed nothing (but difficult to define search terms!).

Thanks

Carol

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It's a bit mickey mouse and won't take any real loads, much less impacts.

Suggest you look at Zyliss which can be used in a wide range of circumstances. Mine clamps nicely to my mainsheet track but in the yard I can attach it to the cradle or any other convenient solid base. A really useful bit of kit that I have owned for many years and used extensively.

Poignard

Visit site
The Zyliss is very useful. A man used to sell them at the Earls' Court Boat show [maybe stlll does].

I had one but I think it disappeared during the upheaval of moving house. Having just had a small tax rebate, I might buy myself another.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Yes, I bought mine at the NEC show many years ago, after seeing it earlier at Earl's Court. The business has now been taken over by the original man's son and I had a chat with him later at another show. He wasn't at either LIBS or NEC this year, so I guess the boat market isn't big enough to justify the exhibitor costs.

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
I don't have one of those, but I have a couple of vices from Axminster that clamp to benches or such like. Very effective. Just search for Vice and they'll show a good number of vices of various sorts.

Jeff.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
About 10 years ago one of the then mail order chandlers has a vice that fitted into a winch socket together with other items like seats and sun shade holders

I looked last year for the seat but did not find any. I think they were not very popular so were stopped being made.

I eventually designed designed and made my own. I think as someone else said the vice was not very strong. I tend to use a workmate on board with a steel vice clamped onto it if I need any heavy work.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Yes, it is now known as the Z-vise2.

In the picture on the website the two triangular-shaped parts on the left are clamps. In use you put one on the right and the other on the left of the vice. My mainsheet track is about 18 inches long, unsupported across the cockpit, so is the ideal place for it to clamp. The great thing about the vice is its versatility - almost every part can be turned around, used in the opposite direction, etc.

I don't know where you might get one, I only ever saw them on sale at shows. Might be worth trying to track down woodworking shows, magazines or other sources.

Poignard

Visit site
Thanks for that link to QVC.

I have just placed an order. £48.90 plus £6.45 p&p. Delivery by next Tuesday. From the photos the item looks exactly the same as my old Zyliss vice but, if it's not as good, I have 14 days to return it for a refund.

Better pictures of it here from a german site but much more expensive:

web page

ronsurf

Visit site
I've seen a tip where you screw a vice to the end of a plank of wood. You can then kneel on the other end of the plank to secure it. You could attach a small block or some rubber patches to stop it slipping.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
I think I got all the bits in the German link, I've had mine for several years and hadn't thought about taking it to the boat. Will add it to everything going up next time as I've plenty of work going on at the moment.

Visit site
tcm has one of these - fits in the socket that the winch handle goes in.

He inherited it with the boat I believe, but it looked beautifully made tool - not mickey mouse at all - a PM to him would probably get the label off the cardboard box that it was still stored in

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
Looking at the two images on QVC it appears to come with almost all of them.

Good thing with QVC is you can try it for a month and if not happy can return it without any problems or arguement.

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a tip where you screw a vice to the end of a plank of wood. You can then kneel on the other end of the plank to secure it. You could attach a small block or some rubber patches to stop it slipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I have. In fact my small vice clamps to the plank of plywood, which is in fact a smal floor panel from my workshop area in 3/4 inch ply. It has the benefit of rubber tstrip to prevent slip around the edges, which keeps the noise and vibration down underway.

A further improvement though is to drill the plywood support in a few strategic places, so that you can bolt it down to various fixtures. I can actually fix mine to the cooker with the gimbals locked out.

ianat182

Visit site
I have in front of me a small vice with a swivel headclamped by a screwed knob. The base has three screw holes for fixing to bench table or workmate but could easily be modified to fit a winch socket by removing the vice head from the base and welding a square block on the spigot to fit the female socket of the winch.The website for PANAVISE will show the vice I have and can be bought in various pieces the vice head and vice base. I use mine fairly regularly but haven't adapted it. Its pretty rugged construction, and jaws open to 2 1/2 ".
Think I bought it at Boatshow for about£10 some time ago.
ianat182