VHF

DavidP

Visit site
Hi

I passed my VHF test back in the mid 80s, i very rearly use it sometimes calling Solent CG for a radio check and sometimes to chat to a friend whilst fishing on ch 10,
My question is ,,, what of all the other channels can i use to chat on ,excluding ch 16,12,80,67.

Cheers
Dave.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue> Ooooh! You naughty boy. 6/8/73 for starters

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

BarryH

Visit site
Sounds like a refresher course is on the cards!!!
The main intership channels are 6,8,72,77. There are others ,but they are also used for port operations and things you don't rally need to worry about.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

DavidP

Visit site
Hi

I think i might be misleading you here ,when i say excluding ch 16 ,12,80,67,
these i dont chat on,as i am aware of what they are, ch 16 for calling my mate then to ch 10.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Actually channel 10 is a semi-reserved channel sometimes used for Tugs/Pilots/Pollution Control etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

gonfishing

Visit site
done my V.H.F /dsc course 3 wks ago instructor made it plain that really if you want to chat get a c.b and keep of the VHF unless it was really necessary any way you must also keep of channel 70 as that is the dsc channel, here in swansea you also keep of 18 as that is the port authority

julian

<hr width=100% size=1>oooh, i'll be fishing soon.

terryw

Visit site
I did my course this weekend and was informed that there are only 4 channels freely available for ship to ship chat. They are 6, 8, 72 & 77, and this is also their order of priority, with commercial generally using 6 and 8, and pleasure boaters using 72 and 77, although there is no restriction on anyone using any of the four channels.
Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>If your nose is running, and your feet smell, you are upside down.

Steve_D

Visit site
What are we meant to do with the other 20 odd channels, i've never heard anyone on them. My instructor didn't really have a satisfactory answer, he just repeated what the ship to ship channels were and said to stick to them.

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>