VHF transmit problem

G

I've got a problem with my VHF where I can hear all other transmissions but others find it difficult to hear me. I've tried it on 1w and 25w with little difference. I also replaced the connector.

Any ideas anyone?

G

Forgot to add- I've tried two different VHF sets so the problemn is not with the mic.

thansk -k

G

I\'t the cable...

90% likely it's water ingress into the cable to the antenna. Any moisture getting into the outer core of the coax cable will kill your transmissions stone dead. Don't mess about, fit a new antenna/cable. I tried everything and that was the only cure - on two different boats.

G

Do you operate the radio with the antenna disconnected? If yes then you may have blown the power transistors resulting in weak transmission but normal reception.

Test by swapping the radio to ensure it is not the antenna or mic. If it is the transistors, don’t worry, it is a straightforward repair for a competent technician.

G

Borrow a VSWR meter

To check both the aerial and the coax borrow a SWR meter,preferably from, a radio amateur it anly takes a few seconds to check the combination of the coax and the aerial. Where are you located?.

G

It's most likely the antenna, eother a bad connection or water in the cable. Either check with a VSWR meter (where are you located? I've got one that covers the correct frquencies), or try it on another antenna.

Brian

G

Thanks for all the help. I suspect it's the cable and not the set itself (new Icom M501). I'll get myself a meter and check the signal.

thanks