VHF help!

G

I have just been told that to replace the handset on my Shipmate RS8100 is going to cost over £200. looking on the Westmarine web site I see that I can pick up DSC compatible sets for reasonable prices. My question is are they compatible in the UK and would there be a problem using the DSC facility?

many thanks in advance

PeterGibbs

Visit site
We are all getting into that period when new radios cost a bomb compared to a year ago! If you are in trouble you will be even more so if you buy from anywhere a radio / transmission equipment that is not type licensed in the EU. This means most US radios - shame and a rotten fix but there it is!

The penalites are juicy - much more than just having the equipment taken away by the Licensing Authority (HMG) - if you don't have a licence they get you that way, and if you do get a license and falsly declare the (?USA sourced and not type approved) equipment you will be done for making a false declaration. Rather makes a dent in the cruising budget. How would you sleep at night? Is that stranger prowling the pontoons a licensing inspector? (they do have them)

Radio propogation equipment is the one area we cannot use cheaper sources if the equipment is not licensed for use in the EU, and that's it! Assuming your vessel is registered in the EC: of course, if it's registered elsewhere, no problemo! Oh there's just the matter of unpaid VAT, sir - will you please come with me......

PWG

Boatman

Visit site
All peter said below is correct I gather the fine is £5k so not worth the risk, additionally the spec is not necessarily the same, there have been a number of reports showing that US DSC sets are really not fully functional DSC sets vital functionality is missing.

I looked at this a few months back relating to an SSB, it appeared to be much cheaper in the US until one started to look at import duty, Vat, specification upgrades etc plus of course the potential fines.

I ended up paying approx the same in Europe (not the UK) and don't have any fine potential.

Sorry about the bad news

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Spotted an ad the other day for a DSC set for £340 or so. Compared with a £200 h/set fix, that might be the way to go and not get snarlyfurckled by the regulations.

OTOH, why not try and source that replacement h/set somewhere cheaper, locally or internationally. If they're asking £200 they're having a joke.

G

Thanks for that. I suspected this would be the case - but if you don't ask..........