VHF causing wind instruments to die....

Sinbad1

Visit site
Last week had a great trip to Guernsey and back along the French coast. Was very surprised to note that when I transmitted on VHF Ch. 77 that the Brooks and Gatehouse wind instruments flickered and then died giving no read out whatsoever. VHF performance ok but obviously some sort of electrical interference being produced on ch 77.

Anyone know what exactly is happening and what to do about it. (Apart from use other channels!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
Use 72/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Or put a piece of string on the mast to tell you where the wind is coming from, I don't think your VHF would interfere with that.
Us MoBo's don't have problems like this, as you can probably tell from my suggestions!!!!!!
<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

Birdseye

Visit site
hopefully someone with real electronics skills will come along and help. in the meantime......

are you saying that it only happens on ch77? that would indicate some sort of pick up of main frequency or harmonics in a resonant circuit, something which should have been happening since you first operated the two together.

if it is more general, then there are a number of possibilities. for example, your power demands when transmitting could be causing thew voltage to drop below the level required by the wind instrument. or you could have some break in the antenna cable, poor earth connections. or a break / bad connection in the wind instrument cable.

it might help to go to maplins , buy a ferrite, and install on the wind instrument cable. but personally would start by taking apart and remaking all the cable / wiring connections at cabin level, checking out the swr of the antenna to make sure thats reasonable.

<hr width=100% size=1>