VHF ASSISTANCE PLEASE

ultrarep

Visit site
I prostrate myself at the mercy of the forum for asking for such help, but I have never used a marine VHF and twas lucky me thinks to inherit one with my boat which I duely removed cos I aint goin out to the big wet! Wrong.
Met some great people on here and have been persuaded to venture out off the east coast.

My cry for help is thus. The unit is an old Electronics Labs RT50. Got no instructions just a huge ariel and a mic. The channel selector clicks round (told you it was old) to the following. M,06,08,09,10,12,14,16,67,70,72,77 in that order. Is this normal? dont you need the numbers that are missing?

I managed to figure out where the twig plugs in but ther is a little switch on the left end marked "high" with red led when mic is keyed and "low" with green led when same mic is keyed. What the heck is that all about? And lastly i have yet to look out for a book on the subject so any guidelines or other advice that can be lofted in my general direction ie specific channels for specific services etc for the poor novice in the east would be greatly revieved.

Thanks folks

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Looks like you have all the channels that you need, the 'gaps' are restricted so not available to us common folk.
High and Low I recon are broadcasting power, probably 25W and 1W (maybe 5W and 1W)
1W is used when you are in close proximity say, as in a marina.
Next thing is to get yourself on a course because it's illegal to use it without a qualification.
It's quite straightforward and will answer many of your questions more fully
best of luck and by the way you have to register your set as well
David

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Agree with the two replies below, I'm sure the RYA do a book you can read. Most used channels will be 16 (calling coastguard or other boats) 10 for interboat chats and 67 for most information broadcsts from CG. But do get licensed, the whole shebang only takes a day.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Hmm. Well, you could do with a channel 80 for the marinas and or a 37. But suspect that the M channel is 37 Just get close to a marina or some one on another boat and check it out. Press the button on the mike and just say testing 123 like they do in the working mens clubs, Then blow down it a few times . Dont forget to take your finger off the button after. Or you will get nowhere. Must point out though. That a little girl came round our marina last week and stuck stickers on all the boats without a licence. Saying that there going to come and inspect. Well it was very nice of them to warn every one first. Course your also supposed to go on a VHS course as well. But not much point if the radio dont work. You could also Try channel 16 and speak to the coast guards. But what ever you do, dont follow previous instructions. Just say what ever is the name of your local coast guard. IE. Brixham Coast guards Brixam Coast Guards. This is Duck one Duck One. Could I have a radio check please. Over. Then if your lucky a nice man will answer you. ( if you have taken your finger off the button). But not if he cannot hear you. Hope fully He will say. Duck One, Duck One. Your loud and clear. So you say something like. Many thanks. Duck One OUT. Practice it in the bath a few time first. Best to take Coliholics advice and use the name on the boat in front of you. Or one you passed last week. Just to be on the safe side!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Call signs

The name Meekatharra always goes down well anywhere in the SW, but it's a bit of a bugger when they ask you to spell it (don't forget the phonetic alphabet). <G>

BTW Haydn, hope Tutts is ok, I would get Dirty Harry onto the case!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Call signs

Mike, Echo, Echo, Keelo, Alfa, Tango, Hotel, Alfa, Romio, Romio, Alfa.

Bloody useless git. Dirty Harry slept all through it too!
Expected him to at least have galloped up and jumped through the window. Just like Champion The Wonder Horse!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

ultrarep

Visit site
You guys have done this before!

How do you go about getting the set licenced?
and how much is it likely to cost?
Also how do I get me licenced I have an aviation RT leicenc does that count

Tucepi

Visit site
I have an aircaft radio license but as they operate on different frequencies they are not compatible, you will still need a ships VHF license. DSC is now another part added to the existing radio course, so it is important you take the latest course.

Look on the RYA website for the nearest available course, only took me two evennings and approx £38.00

The course will tell you all you need to know and compared to the aircraft radio course is a lot simpler and relaxed.

oldgit

Visit site
Bit of advice dump that unit as soon as you are able to get the money for something a bit newer.You can get something second hand for about £50.00-£100.the radio is not worth altering as the Xtals are amount £25 per channel to change and you will have lots of useful stuff missing on that unit.In the short term you can still get new stuff without the new fangled station ID stuff for under £200.00.

cngarrod

Visit site
Hi,

If you live on the east coast (near Ipswich) let me know... i used a local training school for the VHF, did it on a saturday at Pin Mill.. cost me £45 i think + £20 for the operators license...

As for the Set license, go to www.radio.gov.uk and you will find all the forms you need! Think it is about £20 per year for the set... or £15 for a hand held...

I would also agree with a couple of the other replies here.. get yourself a new one... easier to use, more likely it will eb reliable and it could save your life one day!

Cheers,

Craig.

KevB

Visit site
What you must do is get the radio itself licensed, massive massive fine if you get caught using it without one. The operators license is not so important but as others have said being able to use the radio properly may help save lives and will also stop others laughing at you when they hear your muddled transmissions.

VHF radio license application can be found here....

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/flag/forms/RCAS2F4.pdf

Politically incorrect and proud of it.

dickh

Visit site
As previous posts, get the set licenced and go on a course - there is almost certainly one near you, try the local sailing club. You don't mention Channel 84 - on the east coast (Thames Coastguard) the inshore forecast and all relevant safety broadcasts are now on 84. Yarmouth Coastguard I think broadcast on another channel. Just use the set for this year and see how you get on and then possible upgrade next year. You can get DSC sets now for under £300 - SILVA and NASA. The RYA do a good book on the subject. Good Luck

gtmoore

Visit site
There doesn't seem to be Ch74 listed either which in my neck of the woods is used by Dover Port Control - they do monitor 12 and 16 but with the large amount of traffic going in and out of the port it would be useful to have it if you were around these parts