VHF and The woolwich ferry

Wjj

Visit site
I took a trip on the woolwich ferry yesterday, as my small child was sort of interested and I though I could use the kids enthusiasm as an excuse for my own nerdery. It occurred to me while crossing that there must be some radio comms between the two boats but you don't hear much from them on channel 14. Does anyone know if they have another radio system? or they're just using another channel? They must be on listening on ch14 to coordinate with something big coming past or whatever, but how to they talk to eachother?

oldgit

Visit site
Suspect they may have a "private" channel, have never heard anything from them to VTS either.
Always keep on eye out when passing and do my very best to stay out of their way.

M Hill

Visit site
Some know it as L1 but not not the L1 some sets come with.

It’s the former BCU Lifeguards channel, used by the RNLI & SLSGB around the coast & the Woolwich Ferry.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Suspect they may have a "private" channel, have never heard anything from them to VTS either.
Always keep on eye out when passing and do my very best to stay out of their way.
DVL and Ben Woolacott call up VTS every morning to announce the start of service and if it is one Boat or two. They also call at the end of service. On channel 14.