Vetus Engines - are they any good???

Squeaky

Visit site
Good afternoon:

Having a few problems with my engine (Orca 21 HP built from a Kubota) and had a sudden brainwave and am wondering about buying a new Vetus engine - either a M 2.06 (16 HP) or a M 3.28 (27 HP). Will probably get the M 2.06 as 16 HP is more than my boat originally had which was only a 10 HP Volvo (MD 2 B). My boat is a Dufour 29 built in 1977.

I know nothing about Vetus engines nor do I know anyone who has one so am looking for comments from those who might have some experience with them.

Of course, like everyone I have heard people singing the praises of Yanmar engines but what about Vetus engines?

Thanks in advance.

Squeaky

P.S I did a search on this site and got over 500 suggestion but after reading through several hundred gave up and posted the above.

Last edited:

earlybird

Visit site
Vetus are OK IMO, I had one, a 10 hp M2.05, Mitsubishi base.
Agreed, the M3.08 is rather large for your boat, but why not look at say the Beta 20 hp. This is also 3 cylinder and will be a lot smoother than the 2.06. Beta are also very good engines, based on Kubota, with good support.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Good afternoon:

Having a few problems with my engine (Orca 21 HP built from a Kubota) and had a sudden brainwave and am wondering about buying a new Vetus engine - either a M 2.06 (16 HP) or a M 3.28 (27 HP). Will probably get the M 2.06 as 16 HP is more than my boat originally had which was only a 10 HP Volvo (MD 2 B). My boat is a Dufour 29 built in 1977.

I know nothing about Vetus engines nor do I know anyone who has one so am looking for comments from those who might have some experience with them.

Of course, like everyone I have heard people singing the praises of Yanmar engines but what about Vetus engines?

Thanks in advance.

Squeaky

P.S I did a search on this site and got over 500 suggestion but after reading through several hundred gave up and posted the above.

It might be worth talking to Beta. They use Kubota and may be able to help fix what you have already. On the other hand, you may be wealthy!

TrueBlue

Visit site
It might be worth talking to Beta. They use Kubota and may be able to help fix what you have already. On the other hand, you may be wealthy!

Declaration of interest:

I have a Beta (bigger than yours) now 4,000 hours on the clock and still in its yoof. Beta Marine are always helpful - even if I don't want to hear what they are saying.

My thoughts:
Depending on what the faults are talk to Beta anyway, if the engine part is "broken" it might be more economical / practical to buy a new motor and refit the external bits from your existing.

If you buy a new package from Beta, you may able to salvage your existing rail and flexible mounts (the latter only if in good condition) - not from the point of saving money, but more from not having to modify your existing engine beds.

If you have a wish list for second alternator etc, Beta are more likely to supply - whatever - without any fuss (they have a specials department)

I'm no expert on Mitsubishi which Vetus use, or may now be Isuzu, but I am of the opinion that both are higher revving that the Kubota, that means possibly more noise and slightly worse fuel economy.

Kubota engines are industrial units and built to take punishment as well as lots of mountings for extra fittings - sea water pumps, extra alternators and so on.

Vetus stuff tends to be a standard package (AFAIK)

Beta are in Gloucestershire so you can get at them.
Vetus in Holland, so you have to talk to an agent.

Edit: whoops you're in Turkey, you'll have to got through an agent anyway, so belay that last comment.

looky on - www.betamarine.co.uk There's an agent in Istanbul

No axe to grind - just trying to give you information.

Last edited:

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Why not tell us what the problems are with your current engine and what its hours run are?

As well as Beta I suggest you look at Nanni, again Kubota based; I had one in my last yacht, never missed a beat.

Squeaky

Visit site
Good evening:

Thanks for your comments concerning Beta but I am really only interested in views and opinions about the Vetus engines.

I have no doubt that Beta make good engines but I am FED UP with this engine and want rid of it. It was marinized in Greece and I have never really been satisfied with it and having had a brain wave I have decided to take the wealthy man’s way around the continual small problems and replace it.

Am I wealthy? Not by a long shot but there are sufficient funds available to pay for a new engine and I think out of frustration I will just pretend that money is no object although I might be sorry later.

I know there are lots of good engines available which might do the job, other than Volvo, but the fact is that I have been offered a Vetus from a chandlery just up the street. The Vetus dealer will take my engine as trade in without asking a lot of questions about customs etc which will be a big relief.

Re Volvo - I promised myself when I bought my current engine that I would never again have a green engine and certainly not one that had been touched by Volvo as I don't agree with their spare parts policy of giving the engines away to boat builders and then ripping the heck out of anyone unfortunate enough to buy a boat with one installed. I could buy a new off the shelf TMC gear box for the price Volvo wanted for the sliding cone in the MS gearbox which was designed and destined to wear out every couple of years.

Cheers

Squeaky

Sy-Revolution

Visit site
We have the M4.17 and although fairly young (600hrs) it runs sweet as a nut. Never missed a beat and never failed to start. Burns no oil and gives us 5-6 knots at 1800 revs.

As it's Mitsu based the basic (non marinised) parts should be cheap. Only problem we've had was with the aly heat exchanger, corroding around the seal at one end. Turned out due to a leak there.

So far though, so good........

C.

zlod

Visit site
I've got a Vetus M2.D5 in a Contessa 26. It seems to run fine.

The issue I have with this engine is that it is set up for a boat where you have side access to the engine: all the bits that you can play with (fuel filters, impeller pump, oil filter etc.) are on the starboard side of the engine. This is OK if you have side access to the engine. If you don't have side access, it's a real pain. One thing I really don't get is that the impeller pump faces the stern and it is very fiddly to replace the impeller.

If I had bought a Beta or Yanmar 1GM10, it would have been a lot easier to play with the bits as they are all at the front of the engine.

Anyway, I'd have a really good look at the engine and decide whether it fits ergonomically into your boat.

SAMYL

Visit site
I have a Vetus 51 hp although much bigger than you require, (B 19) I think. It is based on a Peugeot 405 1.9 diesel engine so working on and spare bits are easy. No problem with Vetus as a back up service either and there is a place in England advertised in PBO which gives excellent service.
Great engine, perhaps a bit overpowered for my 33 ft boat but it's nice to know there is plenty of grunt there when required. Very smooth and quiet running, economical too and starts first touch.
Only problem I had was with the injector pump and that was self inflicted! :eek:

Apprentice

Visit site
I have a 3.10 and I can't stand the thing. Even after a complete rebuild, new injector pump, and I can't even remember what else the thing is a nightmare. Hard to start, runs rough, burns oil, and leaks oil. It is nearly 30 years old though. I also have had a lot of trouble getting parts at reasonable prices. There's a repower in my future, and I am either putting in an electric system or a smaller Beta.

Squeaky

Visit site
Good morning:

Am afraid I was a bit like the boy who got his hand under a girls blouse for the first time - on reflection it wasn't so great.

Thanks to Zlod above - I am starting to have a more serious look at Vetus and don't like what I read about the impeller - okay, it is not changed everyday but can see that a lot of swearing would accompany any change.

I have sent off messages concerning the Yanmar and Beta and hope to find a suitable motor - will ask around and see if I can find anyone with either on board.

Thanks to all for your comments - got me slightly deflected at least.

Cheers

Squeaky

aslabend

Visit site
Just a thought but it might be worth looking at replacing your engine with one that fits the engine bay rather than just deciding on a brand. I looked at Vetus engines but I'd have had to grind out the old motor mounts and have new ones glassed in to fit it where as the beta just needed a couple of mounting plates fabricated and bolted onto the old mounts.... a lot less work/cost.

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
vetus

just fitted a vetus 3-28 into a new build in India,would agree with zlod. getting at the important bits require access from both sides. otherwise runs sweet as a nut.spares are not cheap. vetus has an agent in india,
Have refitted a Yanmar 2ym15 last year to another boat in greece, and access from the front is superb. and again runs sweet as a nut and so silent after the old Sabb.
Yanmar is just setting up in India. but mitsubishi and kubota base engines are available ,but you need to marinise yourself.Would I fit another Vetus? Maybe

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
The question has been asked, is it the Kubota base or a poor marinising kit, If the engine is broke, the most economical route is to buy a new engine for £1000 and fit the original marinising gear. If the marininising gear is pants, then a new engine from Beta is a good option.

michael_w

Visit site
I've got a 31hp Mitsubishi, marinised by Westerbeke. 300 hours so far, and I'm delighted. Smooth as silk, but sounds roughty toughty, like a bus. Considered the Vetus, but they didn't do quite the right sized engine for me.

Tranona

Visit site
Don't think there is anything basically wrong with the Vetus. They have not got a big share of the UK re-powering market compared with Beta and Nanni, partly because the engines are physically a bit larger at each power level and partly because they have not targetted the after market in the same way as the others.

The basic engine is not the issue and as others have said it is the marinisation and particularly access to the service points which are key. Having filters and pumps at the front is great as is other features like large capacity alternators and custom mounts which some offer.

Of course having a good local agent is a bonus, but to be honest these new units are so reliable and easy to service, not sure even that is so important.

Finally colour is important as it should be co-ordinated with the colour scheme of the boat. Must admit it always grates seeing my green Volvo in a boat where the only other solid colour apart from white is blue!

upthesolent

Home Torrevieja, but currently Truck in Week. 4 F
Visit site
I've got a Vetus M2.D5 ....................................
............the issue I have with this engine is that it is set up for a boat where you have side access to the engine: all the bits that you can play with (fuel filters, impeller pump, oil filter etc.) are on the starboard side of the engine. This is OK if you have side access to the engine. If you don't have side access, it's a real pain. One thing I really don't get is that the impeller pump faces the stern and it is very fiddly to replace the impeller.

SECONDED!

I bought my Leisure 23 some 5 years ago with an almost brand new M2.D5 shoe-horned into it. Changed the impeller as part of maintenance and even with the adjacent oil filter removed it is a pig of job to say the least! You would struggle even if you fitted one of those "Speed Seals".

Apart from that, well pleased with it.

Squeaky

Visit site
Good afternoon:

I am afraid the die has been cast and I will take delivery of a new Vetus M 2.06 on Tuesday or Wednesday. Have arranged slipping for Monday which will give me a couple of days to clean and paint the engine compartment before installation.

Although not actually necessary to slip for an engine change, I will take this opportunity to install new log and depth sounder transducers and a Packless Shaft Seal.

Thanks to all for your advice - it all helped make the final decision.

Cheers

Squeaky

davey

Visit site
Vetus Engines

Good afternoon:

Thanks in advance.

Squeaky

My old colleague "Captain Bligh" was asked to look at a Vetus diesel. He knew that the base engine was Mitsubishi and he knew where the Mitsubishi engine number would be stamped. The Mitsubishi engine number seemed to have been painted over so it was a case of scraping the block with a screwdriver. When this was done a piece of filler came off! Vetus had ground-off the Mitsubishi engine number in order to make people buy parts from Vetus! Now I've heard of "Spanish Practices" but Vetus are Dutch!

I would recommend an engine with a tunnel-bore engine block if you can get one.