Vetus Bow thruster issues

S/V Roys joy

Visit site
Hi all
We recently brought our new boat which had been sat on her berth for the past 2 + years unused
We have spent the past 4 weeks getting her up and running again with no significant faults found until ...

We were leaving Brixham to bring her back to Plymouth and went over to fuel up on the fuel berth - while backing in i was using the bow thruster as you do [Because she dosent realy reverse straight much]

just as i was getting to the berth there was a right burning electrical smell and the thruster packed up - I isolated the supply and went to check there were no flames

There was no flames - the motor was not hot - there were no hot wires and the solenoids were still working but not the motor .

Has anyone had this issue before or is it possible it is due to not being used for so long although has worked for the past 3 weeks maneuvering about the Marina

Any advice greatly received

pvb

Visit site
A bowthruster is one of the simplest bits of kit imaginable. It won't take rocket science for any half-qualified marine engineer to sort it out.

Visit site
Any advice greatly received

Hello Roys Joy,

You did the right thing to isolate and then check that there was no overheating. I suggest that the brushes may be worn out, the symptoms indicate that may be the cause of the problem.

Take off the mesh cage at the top end of the motor, the brushes are made of carbon and sprung loaded to keep them rubbing against the armature. On most 12 volt electrical motors it is fairly easy to see if there is any more movement available and if not then get them out. The brushes look like those in the link below.

If this is the only problem then you can usually get replacements from Vetus at the link below, or elsewhere. However it is best to take some photos of the unit first, especially close ups of any labels and then try to find the correct brushes on their website. For example this is one set.
https://www.vetus.com/en/set-carbonbrushes-4x-12-24v-bow80-95.html

If this fails then email them direct with your photos asking them which brushes you require.

When you have removed them and have a sample, and you know the cost (from Vetus website), then you might like to check with your local Auto Electrical engineers, or on the Internet to see if you can get the same type of brushes at a lower price.

Brushes like these are used in all electrical starter motors, there are many, many thousands of them in use daily. I would suggest that you purchase two sets, if you use the bow thruster for long periods you will need the spare set.

To avoid excessive wear in future, limit the use of the bow thruster to maximum of 2 or 3 minute bursts with a similar time lapse before the next burst, so as to avoid overheating. Your Vetus instruction book will give you better advice.

Good luck, George

S/V Roys joy

Visit site
Hello Roys Joy,
Thanks GeorgeLlewellin

I can see the mesh section although access is good the access to the side is awkward - there is a metal plate with 2 screws on the top of the motor
Ime assuming this can be removed for better access ?
Ile upload pics of the unit just as soon as i can work out how to post them here [looks like i need to upload to flicker or similar first]
The unit was installed in 2008 and has had minimal use as the old owner never took the boat out just sat on her marina berth most of her life

Many thanks again

S/V Roys joy

Visit site
A bowthruster is one of the simplest bits of kit imaginable. It won't take rocket science for any half-qualified marine engineer to sort it out.

That would be great if we could afford to get someone to fix it although to me my budget does not stretch to that and also if it needs fixing now ile learn how to fix it so when it goes and there is no one else ile know what to do next time
Self sufficiency is my way of knowing what to do when the brown stuff hits the proverbial fan
Many thanks

pvb

Visit site
That would be great if we could afford to get someone to fix it although to me my budget does not stretch to that and also if it needs fixing now ile learn how to fix it so when it goes and there is no one else ile know what to do next time
Self sufficiency is my way of knowing what to do when the brown stuff hits the proverbial fan
Many thanks

OK, so do it yourself. It's just a DC motor and some switchgear. I agree with you that self-sufficiency is the way to go, but assumed from your initial post that you weren't a DIY sort.

S/V Roys joy

Visit site
PVB

No usually i can fix just about anything just never had a bow thruster before so thought it wise to find out if this is a usual known fault somewhere or just due to not being used or from something external as i could not find where the smoke and smell was coming from
I didn't want to take it apart to find out i didn't need to

Thanks

pandos

Visit site
Sounds like the manner my Windlass gave up after being layed up for a while and then working for a short amount of time. I took it apart cleaned it with contact cleaner (tec 7 do a really good one) put it back together and all was well.I think the brushes were just stuck and needed to slide in a tad, rather than being worn. Fairly common for electrics to fail after short amount of use following long period of non use....

Keith-i

Visit site
I have an old Vetus which still works very well. It is easy to unbolt the motor and get it on a workbench for a proper check. Unbolt the wires and undo the four bolts on tha flange at the base. Lift it up noting that it's very heavy.

S/V Roys joy

Visit site
AH that would simplify things if i can just unbolt the motor - Thanks Keith-i
Hopefully ile get down to her in the next few days and have a fiddle see what i can find astray

IMG_0595.jpg

Cavalierbond

Visit site
Hi .. sorry to tag on and revive this thread ..
I have a 20 year old vetus And compared to the other loud grinding noice other boats seem to make followed by gushes of water Mine seem to be weak as shandy .. has anyone just cues the dry part and left the “ leg “ as is .. any pointers would be great it’s a 23 kg model

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Hi .. sorry to tag on and revive this thread ..
I have a 20 year old vetus And compared to the other loud grinding noice other boats seem to make followed by gushes of water Mine seem to be weak as shandy .. has anyone just cues the dry part and left the “ leg “ as is .. any pointers would be great it’s a 23 kg model

Check the voltage at the motor when it is being operated. They draw an awful lot of current at 12v (or even 24v), and inadequate sized wiring, tired or undercharged batteries, or poor contacts/connections can drop the voltage significantly, seriously reducing the power the thruster puts out.

I think 25kgf is the least powerful thruster, with the smallest prop & tube, that Vetus make, so depending on the size of your boat it probably isn't generously powered anyway. (Both 25kgf and 35kgf are indicated for boats 7.5m to 11.5m/24.6ft to 36ft.) Therefore you need to make sure you're giving it all the electrical power it needs.

I don't understand what you are saying about the dry part and the leg.

Cavalierbond

Visit site
Thanks for the reply ..
I mean can you work on the motor etc without disturbing the wet part ie the bit prop that sits in the tube .. but like a inboard and a leg ... and are they interchangeable as in can I replace the motor for a more powerful one ..
thanks again

Visit site
If the Vetus is like a Sidepower thruster, then yes, the gearbox is sealed to the tunnel and the motor is bolted to the gearbox inside the boat so you can remove the motor without disturbing the gearbox or affecting the watertight integrity. I can't see how else a thruster could be designed and installed other than that way. The motor is just turning a watertight shaft.

Plum

Visit site
Thanks for the reply ..
I mean can you work on the motor etc without disturbing the wet part ie the bit prop that sits in the tube .. but like a inboard and a leg ... and are they interchangeable as in can I replace the motor for a more powerful one ..
thanks again
My QL bowthruster, distributed by Volvo Penta but no longer made, is rated at 3kw 44kg thrust with twin props. The gearbox failed and was replaced by a Vetus one rated at 1.5kw 23kg thrust single prop (the tunnel was the same diameter). Been using it like this for 5 years.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I also have a vetus bow thruster but a 85Kgf so much bigger but the design is the same.

Two things cone to mind
1) The coupling between the motor and gearbox could be damaged. This can be checked and replaced from inside by removing the motor.
2) The plastic prop could be damaged
3) The shear pin could could have broken
4) The gearbox could be broken. Hope this is not the case as it means a new gearbox.

Here's the manual

https://www.vetus.com/media/magentominds/sasdocument/20180312154959_0.pdf