VAT

romany123

Visit site
Is it cheaper to pay the VAT on a boat bought outside the EU in France or the uk?
not sure what the VAT is in france.
Thanks in anticipation
Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave

Dominic

Visit site
Re: VAT - Spain

Apart from the lower rate of 16.5%, the Spanish tax man will also give the yacht a much lower value than the UK tax man.

It´s not just chasing the lowest percentage tax rate but also the lowest value that each country´s officials place on the yacht and then demand a percentage of.

The second hand prices are strong in the UK so that country will probably give the highest valuation and thus the biggest tax bill.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
CE mark

If you are importing, have you checked out how much the CE categorisation will cost? (This is the EU's build quality/standard) Don't know much about it but there could be a problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>

romany123

Visit site
Re: CE mark

Its a second hand boat from Guernsey.
It was bought new there and has lived there ever since, until the time i pay for it that is.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave

Chris_Robb

Visit site

I don't know what the situation is with Guersey on CE - but if you brought her in from the states for example you would certainly need to do it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Paulka

Visit site

Beware!
The spanish VAT may be cheap, but, the spaniards will ask for an additional 12,5% as an "immatriculation tax".
Thus a total of over 28%!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Paulka

Visit site
BTW, in earlier posts about VAT, it was mentionned that VAT was not due, if the boat was inside the EU before (I seem to remember?) 1986.

Can anybody confirm, and clarify if this is specific to GB, or general for the whole of the EU.

Thanks in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

My son bought a car in Holland and imported it into Spain. The bureacracy involved must be seen to be believed, the whole process taking more than six months. He lives there and speaks good Spanish. Is saving a few quid (possibly) worth all that hassle? I don't think so.

On another tack, is it possible to pick to which country the VAT is paid? I would have thought it had to be the country of residence, or at least arrival. When I imported my car into Holland the authorities wanted to see it before accepting my money.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I'm sure that there is something stopping you from doing it but VAT in Corsica (by means of a concession from the French to show that they are nice guys really) is only 10%
I don't see Med agents all piling into Corsica so there must be a catch.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
But if it is financed by a lease and is a Cat A boat it is deemed to spend 50% of its time outside of territorial waters and so the tax rate is halved on the lease payments.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site

It depends when the boat was first "put into service" or "offered on the market".

Beware that proving she was in service in Guernsey may not satisfy the Eurocrats, as Guernsey is not entirely within EU. Marina receipts from France/UK that go back far enough MAY suffice - but I'd take detailed knowledgeable advice.

As for VAT - in one sense you dont have any options as the cost of getting to a lower VAT jurisdiction may well be greater than the saving. The Customs man at Lymington will relieve you of a large cheque with great charm.

<hr width=100% size=1>