Varnish Advise - Acrylic quick dry?

sfellows

Visit site
The companionway was looking a little tired, so I've sanded but now need to varnish. 8 hours per coat for "normal" varnish isn't practical, so was wondering for any recommendations for acrylic varnish which I believe is 2 hours per coat. That means I can do 4 in a day and would probably do 8 coats. Obviously external (although there is a sprayhood that protects from the worst of the elements). Not convinced by Woodskin as I want a "bright" finish to match the washboards which I have already done at home during the winter with International Schooner (lovely finish).

Any recommendations...

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I use International Compass polyurethane varnish. Used on my washboards and handrails, but I fit canvas covers over them to protect them from the weather and uv when not aboard. Only needs touching up about every 7/8 yrs.

B27

Visit site
The Rustin's Outdoor Quick Dry stuff seems quite good, it has UV inhibitors in it and comes in small tins from Toolstation.

Stemar

Visit site
Another vote for le Tonkinois.

Yes, it takes 6 coats, and it isn't quick drying, but it looks fabulous and, when it does get tired, it doesn't lift off, so all you have to do is rub down and apply a few fresh coats. In spite of the gloss, it isn't slippery.

Visit site
There is an Epifanes product called Rapidclear. You can apply two coats a day (5-6 hours between coats) and it is not necessary to sand between coats. It will require 4-5 coats and the finish is semi-gloss (ideal for down below). You should start varnishing quite early in the morning so the second coat can be applied early afternoon or you may get caught out by an early dew or sea fret. As you want a full gloss finish you could then gently sand the Rapidclear and apply one coat of Epifanes Gloss Varnish which will require at least 12 hours to harden. No commercial connection. There is a lot of information about varnishing (too much!) on my website sumaraofweymouth.co.uk

Yngmar

Visit site
Spraycan with clear lacquer. One coat every 20-30 minutes if you're in such a mad rush. I've used it for a nice applewood handle I made for the Bialetti, looks pretty enough.

For the boat I used Le Tonkinois and patience :)