using the thames piers and marine underwriting insurance.

china

Visit site
hello there, has anybody used the thames piers owned by transport for london. i have been told i might have to have insurance up to thirty million pounds before they would grant permission to do so.

has anybody here had any experience with these piers or has used the old watermens stairs.

thanks.

byron

RIP
Visit site
I am not aware of these requirements but I would say this. Transport for London will be operating their piers independent of PLA and can therefore set there own rules. I would seriously doubt whether permission would be granted to use them anyway for leisure craft.
Waterman's stairs. I take it you refer to the steps just down stream of St kats. These can only be used at near top of tide and then only by small craft, unless you can dry out.

ms1

Visit site
some of the old Watermens stairs have some awful debris around them only visible at lowish tide so you need to be very careful about approaching them and what is down below, prob OK at high tide but risks increase as tide becomes lower..

I would have thought use of TFL piers strictly verboten for us.

Steveu

Visit site
'some of the old Watermens stairs have some awful debris around them only visible at lowish tide so you need to be very careful about approaching them and what is down below, prob'
yes, the skeletons of old pirates & suchlike left chained to the foreshore.

china

Visit site
yes, if i was going to start using the stairs i would scrub the stairs first (or get one of the crew to do it.) to get rid of the slippery algae. one could also remove the debris and detrirus also, i supose.

are we talking wood and rope and such or are there other things to look out for?

i saw the other day that somtimes it is very calm but with wake wash of a large ship it can realy whoosh up the steps and enbankment.

has anyone used these steps for a quick mooring for a quick crew drop off or pick up?

thanks for the above advice, i am trying to think up ways of how to moor with my bow and stern lines without the aid of any bollards or large cleats to moor to.

i am sure it can be done with a little imagination.

thanks again and any thought are welcome.

cheers.