Using sika-flex (or alternative) to stop a leaking throughdeck fitting

Judders

Visit site
I have a couple of leaks in my deck. One from the forward chainplate and another from the genoa track. It has been suggested that I stop these by drawing the bolt, bunging the holes full of sikaflex from both ends and then re-fastening.

I would appreciate the panels thoughts and observations.

matt1

Visit site
Yes, but only really effective if the original hole had been countersunk - this then allows the sika to form a ring around the thread and therefore a seal. Also you will have to clean out all the old sealant pretty well first. Your repair may last a while but I suspect the only long term solution would be to remove the fitting, clean it all up and re-do (obviously a potential hassle with the rig up ) :-(

Flossdog

Visit site
I had a leaking through deck chainplate which I took off, cleaned and then reseated with Sikaflex 291. No leaks now and it was a really easy job that took maybe 15 mins. I would caution about only doing half a job. Better to take off the fitting, completely clean and then reseat.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
If you can, remove and clean the fitting. When you refit, tighten to about 75% and then wait 24 hours before final tightening. This allows the sealant to form a gasket - if you tighten up on liquid sealant you just squeeze it out of the joint.

Tranona

Visit site
Support taking the fitting off completely and would not use Sikaflex but a polysulphide like Boat Life and tighten as suggested in two stages.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
If you have water entering the cabin past a bolt or other, consider the following.

Water entering via jib track will almost certainly be passing through the ply strengthening on the side decks.

If the holes have not been sealed internally the ply will rot and you will have a very expensive and messy job ahead of you.

Remove the track, re drill the holes at least 10mm oversize and fill with epoxy resin and micro-fibres, after curing has finished, re drill to the required size, this will give you around 5mm of epoxy between the bolt and any future leaks and no water damage to the ply.

The above also applies to any backing plate made from ply or other timber, and any fitting on balsa wood or foam core construction.

As others have said, countersink the holes and only fully tighten after the sealant has cured.

Hope this helps.

Avagoodweekend......