Use of 2 Stroke outboards in Greece ?

affinite

Visit site
Anyone using a 2 stroke outboard in Greece ?
I know that new 2 strokes are banned in Europe but wondered if 2 strokes (old or new'ish) were attracting any unwelcome attention from customs, police etc ?
I am considering sending a second hand 2 stroke out there by courier and wondered if there were likely to be any "local difficulties"
Thanks

alexsailor

Visit site
?
Why that would be a problem.
You just can not buy in EU a new 2stroke and register it.
But if it is an old one already with papers, than it shouldn't be a problem.

I am using my 9,8hp every summer on my tender.
Love the smell of burning oil in 2stroke :)

affinite

Visit site
Alexsailor - thanks
Im just trying to sort out a few things (including a 9.8 2S) before Brexit and a possible no deal on Customs union

JanZ

Visit site
2stroke advantages:
Lighter
Less mechanically complicated
Cheaper
Easier to store/handle
Did I mention lighter?

4 stroke advantages:
Quieter
No need to mix fuel

Who'd have a 4 stroke?

CLB

Visit site
Just to be pedantic, new two strokes are not banned on europe. They just have to meet current emission targets to be legally sold. Most can't, but some, like the Evinrude Etec range can and are still sold. In fact they claim lower emissions than some four strokes.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I would be very surprised if anybody cared. I bought my 3.5 HP Tohatsu new in Alderney in 2004, since when nobody in any European country we have cruised in has taken the slightest notice of it.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I would be very surprised if anybody cared. I bought my 3.5 HP Tohatsu new in Alderney in 2004, since when nobody in any European country we have cruised in has taken the slightest notice of it.

+1 Can't imagine why anyone would bother about my 3.3HP Mariner. Carabineri had a moan about my insurance not mentioning the o/b number a couple of years ago. It was a scam as we had it covered and even in Italian (which they obviously couldn't read). Never any problems about it being 2T and why would anyone bother about an older 2T 3.3HP.

Certainly no one in Greece is going to give it a second look. A 5 min. walk along any quay here will reveal many 2T o/bs still in use.

paulajayne

Visit site
2stroke advantages:
Lighter
Less mechanically complicated
Cheaper
Easier to store/handle
Did I mention lighter?

4 stroke advantages:
Quieter
No need to mix fuel

Who'd have a 4 stroke?

Plus you can lay a two stroke down without oil migration problems.

DownWest

Visit site
Back to the basics. Plenty of 2Ts sold, but not in the little sizes we like to push our tenders around. To get 2Ts to conform to emission regs it requires electronics and fuel injection. So, not cost effective on little ones and they don't bother.
Luckily, the old ones are long lived with little effort. And, frankly, do not have much effect, if any, on pollution in general. (even Seagulls...)

alexsailor

Visit site
If you want to buy new 2stroke (like Tohatsu 9,8) go to Serbia.
But than you have to get some “old” papers from similar engine... and the you can register it... You know what I mean....

I just love 2strokes. If anybody is selling 15hp let me know

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
If you want to buy new 2stroke (like Tohatsu 9,8) go to Serbia.
But than you have to get some “old” papers from similar engine... and the you can register it... You know what I mean....

I just love 2strokes. If anybody is selling 15hp let me know

Alderney is a lot closer than Serbia if you want to collect one - they won't post to EU.

What's this about "registering"? UK boats don't need any engines registering, unlike some other countries.

It's quite legal to possess and use a 2 stroke engine in the EU, it's only illegal to sell a new one to anyone not using for commercial or racing purposes.

Cariadco

Visit site
I nearly purchased a brand new 2 stroke, last year in the UK, and the vendor was adamant that I had to sign a disclaimer, stating that I was using the 2 stroke for commercial usage and that I would not sell it on to anyone for private usage!!!
Having said that, the deal fell through on the delivery charge he wanted!!

Graham376

Visit site
I nearly purchased a brand new 2 stroke, last year in the UK, and the vendor was adamant that I had to sign a disclaimer, stating that I was using the 2 stroke for commercial usage and that I would not sell it on to anyone for private usage!!!
Having said that, the deal fell through on the delivery charge he wanted!!

The declaration has to be on a trade letterhead and goes to the importer/distributor. Not unreasonable considering the possible penalties if the importer or dealer are caught selling for recreational use. The re-sale bit is obviously to cover their backsides if (say) I had bought one under false pretenses to sell on to you.

Davy_S

Visit site
What's this about "registering"? UK boats don't need any engines registering, unlike some other countries.
Quite right, however if you have a Greek registered boat (I had a small fast fishing boat) even the small get you home engine has to be registered on the boat documents, my little 3.3 2T was registered, no probs with 2T.

Graham376

Visit site
Quite right, however if you have a Greek registered boat (I had a small fast fishing boat) even the small get you home engine has to be registered on the boat documents, my little 3.3 2T was registered, no probs with 2T.

Same for boats on Portuguese register. Even aux/tender outboards have to have paperwork trail from new or they can't be registered to boat so no incentive to have a stolen outboard:)