Urgent help to write emergency "closing up boat" list please

Oscarpop

Visit site
We are havin to leave the Caribbean fairly urgently because of a family emergency.
As such we will tie the boat up in a good marina and close her up for a couple of months. We kind of need to fly out as soon as we can .
The list of things to sort out before we go is huge and so can you all help to add to a list of things I need to do before we leave.
Close seacocks
Leave shore power plugged in
Etc etc

prv

Visit site
I'd seriously consider removing the sails and stowing them below, especially if there's any possibility of you not in fact being back in a couple of months. Save them from the sun and possibly the wind. Likewise any sprayhood / bimini / dodgers etc - stainless, GRP and aluminium on deck won't come to much harm whatever happens, but canvas is a different matter.

Don't accidentally close the cockpit drain seacocks if you have them.

Maybe a dose of cleaning stuff in the water tank? Drain any water from the diesel tank so it doesn't grow bugs?

I'm not sure about the shore power. More potential for things to go wrong unattended? Leaving the batteries fully charged and all loads turned off, they ought to last for many many months without any problem. Occasionally people come back and find that a malfunctioning charger has boiled them dry.

Check warps are well arranged, secure, and free of chafe. Maybe double up on critical ones?

All this said, if it's just for a couple of months I reckon you could check the fridge is clear of food, turn off the electrics, lock the door and come back to a perfectly healthy boat. Lots of boats with busy owners get left alone routinely for longer than that in the UK.

Pete

colind3782

Visit site
This is my check list for when leaving Sargantana, usually for a couple of months. In addition, I would consider dropping and stowing your genoa. Obviously, your requirements will be slightly different but it will give you a start.

CHECK LIST: BEFORE LEAVING

RUN ENGINE
SWITCH ENGINE OFF
ISOLATOR KEYS OUT
SWITCH PANEL OFF
CLOSE SEACOCKS: SINK, HEADS (3), ENGINE
BATTERY CHARGER OFF
CHECK LINES, HALYARDS, MOORING
TIDY/STOW LINES
LOCK HELM
WHEEL COVER ON
SECURE LOCKERS AND LOCK
VINEGAR/BLEACH IN TOILET
FILL WATER
LIFT MATTRESSES
BOOM DOWN
CLOSE HATCHES
SD CARD FROM LAPTOP
STOW LAPTOP
DISCONNECT SHORE POWER
STOW CABLE
SECURE WASHBOARD AND LOCK

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Here's mine!

Heads inlet closed – port / starboard
Heads outlet closed – port / starboard
Engine sea cocks closed and note left – port / starboard
Electric isolated - port / starboard
House electric isolated
Solar panel on
Ignition keys removed
Gas disconnected
Front window open
Fridge doors open and secured
Mattresses aired
Sterile tablet if water in tank/s
Fuel additive - 25ml added to each tank
Remove and wash window blinds and vinyl windscreen
Toilets in unlocked position and lever in water inlet (left) position.
Leave bilges dry
Fly spray
Remove batteries from weather centre
Replace old ensigns
Bring mats indoors
Secure spinnaker pole
Flush through outboard with fresh water
Disable CO monitor
Twin fenders at stern
Wash chain
Adjust lazy-jack halyards

Richard

sarabande

Visit site
can you leave the auto bilge pump connected to one battery in case of rain ingress for an unforeseen reason ?

Any boat businesses, or friends even, who can regularly adjust something on the boat so that it looks 'active' ? E.g. if a burgee halyard breaks, then clear it up.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I'm not sure about the shore power. More potential for things to go wrong unattended? Leaving the batteries fully charged and all loads turned off, they ought to last for many many months without any problem. Occasionally people come back and find that a malfunctioning charger has boiled them dry.

+1

I had exactly this happen. I had some one calling by to do some work on the boat and noticed things in time. The batteries were splitting down the side and giving off acid fumes.

I don't really know what happened, but suspect a dodgy/shorted cell in one battery which meant that a large number of amps were continuously pumped into it heating it to boiling point.

Could have been really nasty. I suspect a fire could have resulted if it was not caught in time.

john_q

Visit site
All of the above is very good advise. We (for our sins) currently have 2 boats so we have to leave one of them for long periods at a time

In addition, depending on where and when you are leaving the boat, consider ventilation/cleaning ie. how you are going to deal with mould/mildew. In the West Caribbean you can watch it grow in the rainy season!!!!!. Other solution are to have a de-humidifer

We get around this by having the Marina open the boat to air it every few day (if it not raining) and getting it cleaned/wiped over once or twice a month with a vinegar/water solution. (Our Marina includes this service as part of the dock fee)

I would also strongly suggest you get someone to keep an eye on it for you, a friend or pay someone reliable, blocked cockpit drains due to leaves can flood a boat or even sink it.

Good luck