Upgrade existing AIS set up to add transponder

slipknot

Visit site
I currently have a standard horizon 2150 DSC/AIS/VHF connected to a Standard horizon CP180i plotter. This works great as an AIS receiver and all info is displayed perfectly on the plotter. I’d now like to transmit my info on AIS and have looked at a few options like adding a digital yacht transponder, but I’m not really sure about the best way of achieving this (hardware and wiring up) keeping the display and info I currently have, but just transmitting. Any good advice please?

johnalison

Visit site
Simply fit a transceiver and don't interface it with anything else. The em-trak B100 is good quality.

My own AIS is integrated, but with two systems, is it possible to arrange for the receiver to ignore the transmitter?

Talmine

Visit site
We have a digital yacht plotter with an integrated Ais. We upgraded to a transceiver last year. My fear was that the receiver in my plotter would pick up my transmission and keep telling me I was on a collision course with myself. Digital yacht disabled the receiver in my plotter and all's now good.

GrahamD

Visit site
I have the same issue. I bought a GX2100 and have really valued the ability to make a DSC Call to a vessel picked up on AIS. Standard Horizon have told me that I can’t switch off AIS receive if I fit a Class B transponder, and that my 2100 will pick up the signal we broadcast.

Their suggestion was either to fit an AIS transponder and try to find a GX2000 (now superseded) which will display an AIS input from a ClassB transponder in the same way as a GX2100, or wait until the release of long delayed GX6500 with built in AIS class B transponder. The trouble is, they have been saying it will be released “soon” for the last three years at least

Please let me know what you decide