Unused Beta Engine Care

JonnieFlamingo

Visit site
Afternoon all,
Predictably the restoration of Flamingo, my 1930s Gaff Cutter is taking a long time and consequently her Beta 14 engine has not been used in about 4 years. Not being that familiar with marine engines I'm wondering if there is something I should be doing to make sure it doesn't seize up? It has been sitting in the shed for two years and before that sitting in Peter Gregsons's cellar. Someone suggested that oil left for too long will start to corrode the engine....! Any advice?
cheers, Jonnie.

earlybird

Visit site
Beta's advice in my engine manual, for storage longer than 6 months is to drain sump oil and re-fill and run with Ensis oil. Also, run engine on ISO 4113 Calibration fluid for a few minutes to protect the injection system.
To that, I'd add to make sure the fresh water cooling system is full with fresh anti-freeze and the seawater side is flushed out and as dry as possible.
You'd get more views on the PBO forum I'm sure.

Niander

Visit site
Just what i said then ...also make sure you turn it in the correct direction it will then pump the oil around and you'll have to take the injectors out and pop a little oil down there.

reeac

Visit site
Way back in 1982 I dismantled and completely rebuilt a 1958 MG A 1500 engine which had been idle for around 6 years. There was no sign of any seizing.. When I first ran the engine after the rebuild I removed the plugs and spun it with the starter until the oil pressure gauge showed a good reading. Mind you, the car had never operated in a marine atmosphere. I still have the car and it runs perfectly.

JonnieFlamingo

Visit site
I tried turning it over but it was rather awkward with the engine tucked in the back of the shed, so I spent a happy few hours building a bench for it to sit on. To get it up onto the bench meant constructing a goal post of 3x3 posts and a 6x2 cross beam to hang a chain hoist. All went well and the engine is now sitting in a more accessible position. Sadly I still can't get the damn thing to turn over. I can give it about a quarter turn before it just refuses to move any further and on releasing the spanner it springs back again. I'll contact Beta Marine again and see what they suggest but if anyone has any idea what might cause that let me know.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Does the engine have a valve lifter? CBT

Do you mean decompression lever(s)?

Yes. I am from another era! :) CBT

Regardless of what you call it, it doesn't have one!

I'd be surprised if it was compression stopping it turning over, especially if it's done slowly. It's only a 240cc cylinder (one of two). Putting a battery on, in order to use the starter motor, will soon tell whether it's the spanner not giving enough advantage.