underwater boat paint

Benjygardner

Visit site
Hi guys, I'm currently restoring a 14ft cuddy boat. The next step of the project is painting the bottom of the boat. I'm thinking of using an underwater primer with some kind of topcoat on top. I'm just not sure what topcoat to use for the underneath of the boat, it would need to not peel off. Is there any kind of paint that can achieve this?

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Any of the major yacht paint suppliers will have suitable products. I have used International's two-part epoxy Prime Kote over the underwater portion of the hull following an epoxied GRP repair, with two coats of Polyurethane Brightside as the finish coat. It still looks good five years later - from a distance, at least. She lives on a trailer when not sailing, so I did not use anti-foul on the hull.

alan_d

Visit site
Hi guys, I'm currently restoring a 14ft cuddy boat. The next step of the project is painting the bottom of the boat. I'm thinking of using an underwater primer with some kind of topcoat on top. I'm just not sure what topcoat to use for the underneath of the boat, it would need to not peel off. Is there any kind of paint that can achieve this?
I think you might get more useful replies if you told us what material the boat was made of and whether you intended to antifoul it.

wallacebob

Visit site
SML Paints website or helpline will give you the info you need. 14ft: launch and recover? No antifoul? Less worries about paint quality. Use outdoor oil based gloss, Wickes, etc.