Underpowered?

PhillB

Visit site
Hi all,

I looking at a 8.25Mtr Sports cruiser from the US side of the pond. My only reservation is that she is powered by a D4-210 which I fear is underpowered for a 3,500kg 8.25Mtr boat.

I know modern diesels have come on a long way, but what are your thoughts - I would be much happier with 260plus, but am I wrong?

I dread investing in a boat that struggles to get on/stay on the plane.

stelican

Visit site
Hi all,

I looking at a 8.25Mtr Sports cruiser from the US side of the pond. My only reservation is that she is powered by a D4-210 which I fear is underpowered for a 3,500kg 8.25Mtr boat.

I know modern diesels have come on a long way, but what are your thoughts - I would be much happier with 260plus, but am I wrong?

several U.S builders have sea trial figures for their vessels which maybe worth sourcing

julians

Visit site
Hi all,

That does sound a bit underpowered to me.

Sianna

Visit site
our Leader 805 is 8m / 2300kg with 230hp and planes at 14knts and tops out at 30knts so the boat you are looking at may not feel underpowered?

What model is it?

jfm

Visit site
Feels underpowered. An 8.25m boat will be sensitive to number of passengers, so it might go well with 2 pax but struggle to get on plane with 6-8 pax. I have an 8.21m RIB with 300hp outboard and it definitely isn't overpowered (different animal, I appreciate). Anyway I think you are right to be concerned about this.

PhillB

Visit site
our Leader 805 is 8m / 2300kg with 230hp and planes at 14knts and tops out at 30knts so the boat you are looking at may not feel underpowered?

What model is it?
The Leader 805 is the boat I want really, but I haven’t seen them come available too often - how are you getting on with it? The alternative that I’m referring to in this post is a Campion, but it looks as though she is 50% heavier than the Leader, hence my concerns. I’m not sure where all that weight comes from though…

Sianna

Visit site
The Leader 805 is the boat I want really, but I haven’t seen them come available too often - how are you getting on with it? The alternative that I’m referring to in this post is a Campion, but it looks as though she is 50% heavier than the Leader, hence my concerns. I’m not sure where all that weight comes from though…
Hi Phil, we absolutely love our 805, I may also know of one coming up for sale (not ours), I'm moored on the Beaulieu River in Hampshire, not sure where you are, but if you want to have a look over one and have a chat about what they are like and running costs I'd be more than happy to meet up to show you around one, if you're too far, PM me and we can chat that way. (y)

Attachments

• e11a32be-6a7c-41d0-b6e8-0a8988216440.jpg
    e11a32be-6a7c-41d0-b6e8-0a8988216440.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 36

ari

Visit site
That seems unlikely. Are you absolutely sure? (ie, have you seen the weight quoted elsewhere independently? If it's just on the broker's info, he could just be guessing...)

ari

Visit site
Hi Phil, we absolutely love our 805, I may also know of one coming up for sale (not ours), I'm moored on the Beaulieu River in Hampshire, not sure where you are, but if you want to have a look over one and have a chat about what they are like and running costs I'd be more than happy to meet up to show you around one, if you're too far, PM me and we can chat that way. (y)
That's a great photo!

PhillB

Visit site
That seems unlikely. Are you absolutely sure? (ie, have you seen the weight quoted elsewhere independently? If it's just on the broker's info, he could just be guessing...)
Yes I’ve checked the same boat advertised elsewhere- albeit in Lbs as they are mainly in Canada and the US. I must admit though, I can’t see where all that extra weight is, unless it’s in the additional fresh and black water storage etc. I expected the Leader to be a heavy boat being category B, so I assumed a heavy build.

PhillB

Visit site
Thanks for the offer. I’m not local to you unfortunately so I’ll PM you and take the chat offline. Not sure how to do that though…😳

PhillB

Visit site
Yes I’ve checked the same boat advertised elsewhere- albeit in Lbs as they are mainly in Canada and the US. I must admit though, I can’t see where all that extra weight is, unless it’s in the additional fresh and black water storage etc. I expected the Leader to be a heavy boat being category B, so I assumed a heavy build.
I’ve just checked another couple 427 ltr fuel, 83 ltr fresh and 53 ltr holding tank. Maybe that’s where some of the weight is.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.png
    IMG_0291.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 19

harvey38

Visit site
Doesn't Nick Burnham run an 805 Leader, it might be worthwhile watching some of his many antics aboard Smugglers Blues II on his YouTube channel Aquaholic.

Sianna

Visit site
Doesn't Nick Burnham run an 805 Leader, it might be worthwhile watching some of his many antics aboard Smugglers Blues II on his YouTube channel Aquaholic.
Nick B does run a D4 powered Leader 805 and I know PhillB has looked at Nick B's video's (y)