undereading nasa log

30boat

N/A
Visit site
My nasa target log undereads by about one knot.Is there any way to correct this?The instructions that came with it are pretty basic and don't mention any set up procedures.Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spyro

Visit site
Yes they can be calibrated I have one but the instructions are at my boat and I won'ty be there till tomorrow I will check then and get back to you if no one has posted instructions by then
Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

DanTribe

Visit site
From memory, I think that you turn power off, press & hold Enter,[or Speed].Power on & the unit should then say Eng. The speed & distance keys then give +or - of 1% per stroke.Instructions are on the boat, I'll check this W/E.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Paul_H

Visit site
Checked all the usual? Paddle free of shrimpy things, weed etc. in best location and pointing the right way. Paddle spindle not gunged or rusted up. Antifoul on the paddle helps keep stuff off but needs thin even coat not to upset reading.

<hr width=100% size=1>

[3889]

Visit site
Is it a nasa clipper log? If it is then turn on power holding down illum button then press speed to enter calibration. you can change between 75% and 150%

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
lots of good advice already given. I have/had the same problem, I contacted Nasa and their response after setting the calibration failed was to loosen off the transducer while under way and gently twist it until maximum speed reading was achieved. This will have the paddles directed in the best water flow across your hull.

I still think mine reads a little low, I proved it a few months ago when I gave someone a tow and I was the tug. I was reading 0.9 kt low compared to his log. I think since then I have got it reading much more accurate but it all seems very relative.

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/Honda_00.html>Honda Formula 4-Stroke racing</A>

johnt

Visit site
as its a target log Im surprised no-one has mentioned that you can change the paddle wheel !

Mine suffered corrosion in one of the ferrite rods embedded in the wheel........which of course made it underead. A quick call to NASA soon had one in the post for not a lot of cash at all............PROBLEM SOLVED

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spyro

Visit site
from the instructions for NASA target speed and distance log
Calibration.
The calibration is preset in the factory. to obtain the calibration factor, simultaneously press and hold speed and total until the calibration factor is displayed both keys must be pressed for several seconds to prevent accidental access. The factory preset is 25 this is the mid range, Each press of SPEED will increment the calibration factor by 1% representing a 1% increase in readings, each press of TOTAL will decrease the calibration by 1%, to return to normal opereation press TRIP. Both speed and distance are calibrated simultaneously, the calibration is stored in non volatile memory and is retained when power is OFF.
Good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

tgalea

Visit site
Hi.

Is it possible to apply a little antifouling on the paddle ? Mine are just new and unless i clean the paddle once a week it will get lost will all the stuff that grows on it let alone turn!

Look forward to your advice.

Tyrone.

<hr width=100% size=1>