UK to Canaries October?

davethedog

Visit site
Evening all,

We are now back in the UK and seriously wondering why we came back LOL

So, thinking of heading back to the Canary Islands, is it too late in the year? I know the cruising guides say best time is May to August!

Cheers in advance

DTD

jdc

Visit site
We left Falmouth on halloween, made Coruña on the 3rd Nov, Madeira around mid Nov, and Canaries 2nd Dec. An easy trip, but the wind gods were kind to us that year!

My only advice would be to wait for a favourable forecast, and bite it off in pieces. We could have gone quicker, but did some exploring (and even a business trip back to the UK) during the voyage. But, golly, the nights come early in November in Biscay!

We then cruised around 'til early Feb in the Canaries. Only issue was the Calima was rather established that year.

davethedog

Visit site
Thanks and that would be the outline plan as done the trip a few times already but earlier in the year.

Rough outline:
Portsmout to A Coruna.
A Coruna to Cascais.
Cascais to Canaries...

veshengro

Visit site
" Any more for any more...."

Only fools and Fishermen go West of the Lizard after September....so runs traditional advice. Yes I know they didn't have all the techie kit watching the weather then, so all you need is the boffins to be correct. Be quiet Mr Fish, I'm not talking to you...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

greeny

Visit site
But that's where the unpredictable ones might be! It's the predictable ones that are nearer the coast. ;)
Maybe but not if you look at the reports and recommendations. The orca are looking for food. Tuna in this case. Tuna are closer to the coast. More often between 30 and 350 metres.

davethedog

Visit site
I wish you fair winds and kind seas, Your main issue is Marinas, Lanzarote will be booked up now Tenerife may be your best bet or possibly la Palma.
Yep, emailed a few marinas already but the ARC will be heading off in a few months anyway so should free up some space, though ideally would want togo back to Puerto Mogan as spent 2 years in there before we went to the Caribbean.

If we do not head back there this year then as soon as possible next year!

Metalicmike

Visit site
Yep, emailed a few marinas already but the ARC will be heading off in a few months anyway so should free up some space, though ideally would want togo back to Puerto Mogan as spent 2 years in there before we went to the Caribbean.

If we do not head back there this year then as soon as possible next year!
The Arc is so busy now, there is another in late January.

Dantp

Visit site
You will be fine, just be prepared to be patient waiting for the right forecast.
We crossed biscay in september and spent lots of time enjoying the spanish rias.
Didn't get to southern portugal till late December.
One thought is if you happen to get a really great forecast when leaving Portsmouth it might be worth aiming for a spot south of Finister. Then its easier to find a window to carry on. Or not if you want to see A Coruna again.