UK bank accounts to be closed for people resident in Europe

greeny

Visit site
It doesn't look as though it will be a "show stopper" for most people. Some will have to adjust their current arrangements and maybe move banks. Certainly an inconvenience though and I'm sure it will not be as straight forward as opening a "normal" uk account.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
It doesn't look as though it will be a "show stopper" for most people. Some will have to adjust their current arrangements and maybe move banks. Certainly an inconvenience though and I'm sure it will not be as straight forward as opening a "normal" uk account.

When we moved to France, we changed our address with our UK bank to my daughters.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I wish people wouldn't do that trying to make out someone is some criminal because he bends the rules .
Many hundreds if not thousand people have address in family member address , many hundred have boat under different flag then their country , and in time to come many will find a way around Brexti be it residency or other ways ,
it dont make any of us any more a criminal then the guy who parks on yellow lines to fetch his fish and chip .
In my life time I not met any one who not bend the rules To suite them .

I have a very good friend who goes on and on and on about people who find ways to avoid paying their full tax bill and how they should be hang , what do he do? He doesn't tell the doctor he spend more then three months away so he can still get his tables free and still be able to be registered at that doctor .
He don't tell the revenue he out of the UK more then 180 days not to lose his PA ,

nortada

Visit site
You changed your address to your daughters? You mean to say you gave them a false address?

To at all when I am in the UK and not caravanning, we live in my daughter’s house and are on the electoral roll so certainly not a false (made-up❓) address and not illegal.

In years gone by when are daughter lived with us was that a false address❓

nortada

Visit site
I have been living this life style for the past 20 years and a constant piece of advice was, keep a presence in the UK, so anybody who ignored this advice can hardly claim that they weren’t warned. They have orchestrated their present predicament.

Bit like people who have been constantly warned over the past 4 years, if they wish to continue to have a meaningful existence in the EU post Brexit, they will have to get EU residency somewhere. Now with just over 3 months to run to the end of the transition period, every day I hear of people who could have, but have not moved on residency.

Again they say, “Oh - it will all work out OK.”

Will they never learn❓

Visit site
Every cruiser and traveller knows that you need to keep a UK address or risk getting your accounts closed/frozen. I remember coming back from motorcycling around North Africa to find that one of my accounts had been suspended. The reason was that a piece of correspondence was returned to them by the Royal Mail, because RM had shoved so much junk mail into my mailbox that it was full.

Normally when people are away they will use a parent's, relatives or close friends address. It just makes life easier, and you still get to pay into the UK system and get the benefits of that.

AndrewB

Visit site
I suppose there will be similar problems in the other direction. I've held a Belgian bank account for many years based on my UK address, which for me has been the most convenient way of managing euros during long periods in Greece and elsewhere in Europe. Haven't heard anything, but I expect that will have to go., and some alternative will have to be found.

grumpygit

Visit site
We have an address but who's going to open the mail if we aren't there. So it goes to the wife's mothers address so she can open and relay anything that needs deal with.
We have both UK and Greek bank accounts but more than likely there will be no hiding place, of course the banks will know where you are from the simple fact of transactions of the debit or credit cards. But as a thought, do they really want to loose the business or may be they'll just wack up the fee's.