UFO over Bradwell/Mersea?

tillergirl

Visit site
Sitting 'au jardin' this evening at 10.45pm with some chums and empty bottles when male chum said 'What's that?' I turned to look and from the direction of Bradwell came a red/orange light. It look cylindrical in shape and initially I thought it was a red flare. But it didn't gain any more height but appeared to stay at a constant height and went in a NW direction over the Island and I guess it would have gone over the Island heading for Alresford. It seemed to stay at a constant height and disappeared behind the higher part of the island. No sound at all. Light was far too large for a plane and nothing else visible but the light. Mrs chum said that it looked like a chinese lanthern!

Suggestions?

AlJones

atsailing.com
I got a tad tipsy this evensong, it may have been Tina hitting the roof!!! And beyond!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
I reckon it was the chinese lanthern. It was heading NE a a pretty constant height. Difficult to judge the height. We all thought it was a flare when we first saw it but it stopped climbing and didn't burn out. Rather good.

I reckon Brendan has it. Least it wasn't the wine.

sailorman

Visit site
we were in bradwell last night didnt see a thing. there were parties/ bbqs in back gardens + a disco in the marina club .
nice sail there a slo sail back engine on a few times still beat The"Victor" into the Hbr /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
I guess someone launched it off the beach. Waht I found amazing was the speed of it. There was no wind at ground level but up where it was - 400ft? it was going quite a pace. Brendan's link seems to be what it was.

Solene

Visit site
We were in Pyfleet and were treated to a very nice firework display from Brightlingsea about that time but I didn't see any Chinese Lanterns!